Questions Regarding Profiles

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by sflorack, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

I've used NOD for about 2 years now, but never really payed much attention to the profiles before. I've read some things on the forum, but was left with a few questions.

I notice there are 3 profiles available -- My Profile, Context Menu, and Control Center. I noted that others have discussed that they are the same, by default. I actually went ahead and deleted "My Profile", and followed Blackspears "extra settings" posting; assigning his values to the Control Center profile.

1) Should I also copy the settins to the Context Menu profile? I think I understand that Context Menu is when I right click a file, and scan it directly from Windows. Wouldn't AMON (and the Control Center profile?) prevent viruses from affecting my system, even if I did a less-inclusive Context Menu scan?

2) Aren't there actually 2 "My Profiles"? One for the scanning settings, and the other for the update settings?

3) I did a complete scan of my system using the new settings provided by Blackspear. The scan took 1.5 hours (up from the default settings of 30 minutes), and (only) found one trojan that was not found by standard scanning. Although I have NOD scanning nightly when it's not being used, does the additional scanning time warrant keeping the deeper scan settings?

4) If I go through the trouble of using Blackspears settings, and associate a night scan with the appropriate profile, why do I need to use command line arguments to do the same thing?

Thanks very much for the help. I'm sure I'll have other questions later. :D

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yes, and no, I prefer to have absolutely everything in Nod32 tweaked to the maximum, as you found yourself, tweaked to the max Nod found a Trojan ;) :D

I don’t think so, I only know of the 2 profiles; My Profile and Context.

It depends if you prefer the security guard to check every nook and cranny, and every single room, or just to wander around the outside perimeter of your building ;) :D

Command line is just another form of scanning with additional options.

Ask away, that’s why we are here :D

Cheers :D

3. sflorack

Thanks for the reply.

I've decided to stick with the settings as you've outlined regarding nightly scanning, but reverted back to default IMON settings. I don't mind the added load on my computer when it performs virus scans, but the bogging effect IMON takes on my internet connection doesn't justify more security.

As I've had the default settings in IMON protect me since it's been out (and only one trojan was found after the fact -- assuming it wasn't a false positive), I'm quite confident it's the best trade off.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Just a note on the Control Centre Profile, some users like to have a Control Centre icon on their desktop (this is offered in the initial installation setup). If they choose to run NOD from this desktop icon, this will be known as the Control Centre Profile.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thanks for this Bandicoot, you are indeed a Gem, sometimes ;) :D

5. sflorack

When I open the Control Center via the desktop icon, it opens up the "My Profile" profile, and not the "Control Center" profile. It seems that if you have "My Profile" set to "Use this profile when launching NOD32 scanner from Control Center" and "Context Profile" to "Use this profile for scanning objects from within the context menu", the Control Center profile does nothing, and is never used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.