Questions regarding GeSWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Lucy85, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

Good day everyone. I just tried GeSWall yesterday after getting tired of Sandboxie slowing down my browser but i have some doubts which i hope someone can help me with, thanks.

1. Isn't the latest version should be v2.3.1? When i launch GeSWall Console, it shows version v2.3.0.

2. I did their test by running the demo VBScript but why is Disable Window File Protection able to get through?

http://www.gentlesecurity.com/pix/demo6_1.png

3. How many security levels are there? According to gentlesecurity, there are 4 in total with Isolate network applications being the highest layer - http://www.gentlesecurity.com/docs/seclevels.html

4. I'm using Opera web browser as Trusted with auto isolation. When i save some files for example an image with GIF extension, the file can be later opened in unisolated window. If i read the instructions correctly, shouldn't files created by an isolated program be isolated as well, unless there is a specific application rule?

5. I've created a Deny Create rule for system32 folder in Resources but is there anything else i should do to improve security?

2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

hello lucy, this forum doenst' really have that many experienced geswall users. did you try emailing geswall's support team? they are very responsive. i found a glitch in the software and it was fixed and uploaded in 5 minutes :D

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi Lucy, take a look at the thread of Aigle "Playing with sandboxie"

My experiences with virtualization aps:

I have tried Sandboxie, but did not like the slow down of my system. The ap worked perfectly.

GeSWall is fast, but I kept problems when printing. GeSwall did not allow the spooler to print pages. When I logged out and in again, GeSWall seemed to release the spool and the pages were print. Although the helpdesk of GeSwall is amazing reponsive (for a free product), they did not know how to fix it (because you need to allow two spool programs of my HP deskjet with the same internal product name, when adding the second spooler as "always trusted", GeSwall tells you have already one program with the same name, althoug the rule is named differently)

Then I tried Buffezone free for FireFox. Was easier to install and more straight forward. was slower than GeSWall. BufferZone had one problem: when you put an USB stick in the computer it freezes. When you pull out the USB stick the problem is gone. Considering the ease of use, it is workable (just not put the USB stick in when Bufferzone is active). It is a pity BufferZone free is only for one treath gate ap).

Because my company made an arrangement to enhance PC security at home. We got an license of DefenseWall and 150 euro's to buy an external drive (we also got a script to make a bootable BartPE with DriveimageXML for restore after disasters/backup programs drive and the free syncback to backup/restore your data drive). I am now using DefenseWall.
    I must say DefenseWall is very easy to use. Is just a bit slower than GesWall, but faster than BufferZone (and a lot faster than SandBoxie). For speed reference: I have a AMD Athlon 3400 with 1MB (about 740K free after windows boot).

4. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

Hi guys, i emailed GeSWall's tech support few days ago and Brian (from GeSWall) has been a great help. Here are the questions i asked and his answers, just in case new GeSWall users like me would like to know.

My second email
    His reply

5. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

I don't print out my logs so i'm not sure about the printer spooler problem, but GeSWall is working fine for me although it took me a while to learn how it works.

As i have an old pc, CPU and memory usage is one thing i'd look into. GeSWall's 2 processes (gswui & gswserv) have almost zero CPU usage while memory consumption is about 4-6MB in total . How about Bufferzone and DefenseWall?

GeSWall will be releasing beta for v2.5 and i'm really looking forward to it.

6. Kees1958

Hi Lucy,

GeSWall is really a nice concept. It is the less CPU draining virtaulization ap I have used. Second is DefenseWall, BufferZone is a bit harder on your resources. For Sandboxie you need to have a very powerfull PC (I have a AMD Athlon 3400 which works fine with GeSwall, DefenseWall and BufferZone).

The nice thing about GeSWall is that it is free (and Brian of GeSWall, like Ilya of DefenseWall really try to help you). To play (paid) downloads of music I had to set Windows Media Player as always trusted. This goes against the idea to secure oneself against downloads, because I also download music with LimeWire.

BufferZone is also free for just one treath gate application (as fas as I know you can either install BufferZone for FireFox or IE or LimeWire). BufferZone is more install and forget than GeSWall. DefenseWall is easier to install, but you have to acquire a life-time lisence (no yearly renewal cost).

From a free-ware point of view I should first try GeSwall and Sandboxie, (Although I prefer GeSWall much better). Then try BufferZone (because the free ware version only protects against one treath gate application, but when you only surf the Internet and do not download files with P2P, bufferzone covers your needs).

When you both browse plus P2P-download, DefenseWall is the best option (cheapest, fastests, easy), follwed by BufferZone and GreenBorder (is more costly).

So I should try fiddle with GeSWall some more, before changing to a paid application. I use Antivir (free) and CyberHawk (free) along side with DefenseWall, no more other security applications (except static defense like SpywareBlaster and the CPU capabilities to enable DEP for all program in Windows).

With this setup it takes around 5 seconds for IE 7 to start up the first time, when opening a second tab it is displayed within 2 seconds. I only use IE 7, because my favourite music pay download site, requires Active X.

(So please fellows do not start making comments on IE it is a necessity in stead of choice).

Regards Kees

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

My computer is P2-450, 384Mb.

8. Kees1958

Ilya,

I am very satisfied with DefenseWall, but I tried to give an objective answer. Brian (of GeSwall) and you (DefenseWall) both offer excellent support, unmatched with other applications I have had (like Internet Security 2006, SpySweeper or Kazaa Gold, Kazaa's Gold support is a real pain in the ass, their only response is to enable your FireWall and re-install Kazaa, that's is joke considering I only use the inbound firewall of my Router)

Regards Kees

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.