Questions Re ADD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Drio, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drio

Drio Registered Member

Dear Acronis

I tried your Disk Director Suite and True Image from a colleague's CD,and I must say I am really impressed.

Just a few questions and remarks:
    Q1:
    I could not get the OS Selector to work.
    It installed right, but it hung at boot, the image indicating processing at best moved to 1 hours, but stayed there (even after leaving it overnight).
    This may be caused by the fact that I already have 3 primary and 1 extended partition on the disk, and that I already have a slightly messed up MBR
    (modified by Acer notebooks recovery system)

Other bootmanagers (BootMagic and BootItNg) did not seem to have this problem.

Q2
    Is you product capabe of maintaining the following:
    - Windows boot.ini file
    - disk signature (relating to windows activation)
    - re-arranging partition slots in the MBR
    - adjusting drive letter mapping in all Windows settings files (most important the registry)
    Obviously when I change partitions or partition order on the disk the partition number changes which may mess up booting into windows
    This is relevant for me because I want to create 3 independent windows xp installations on my notebook:
    1. the current system
    2. a test system for trying things out
    3. an optimised rebuild of the current system
    As soon as the rebuild is finalised the current system and the test system disappear.
    This may look a bit elaborate, but I cannot afford to dump the current system (needed to earn my wages) and start a rebuid from scratch, so I need the production, test and rebuild side by side, but totally hidden for eachother)
    Just to play save I now hide the partitions for eachother by giving them an exotic partition type (e.g. Compaq diagnostic), so I also wonder if Acronis gives the option to hide partitions in such a non-standard way.

Q3
    Do you offer a competitive upgrade in the UK (like you do for Germany)?
    I own licenses of Norton Ghost and PartitionMagic (most recent versions), a combination which sorts out my basic recovery needs, but given the fact that your solution starts much faster I would be inclined to use your equivalent and better porducts

Q4
    Do you offer a Ghost to Acronis converter, so I would be able to convert my old Ghost images to Acronis images?

Many thanks

Drio

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Drio,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Actually, Acronis Disk Director Suite does not make any changes in the boot.ini file in case you change the partition order automatically, but you can use Acronis Disk Director Bootable Rescue CD in order to perform these changes manually. The disk signature is saved by Acronis Disk Director Suite during performing all the changes. The Master Boot Record is maintained if you operate with partitions without changing their order or deleting them, otherwise you will need to perform MBR fixing as it is described in Acronis Help Post. I'm afraid that Acronis Disk Director Suite does not adjust drive letter mapping in system registry if you change the drive letter of any partition, probably this feature will be implemented in future versions.

I'm afraid that we do not provide any competitive upgrades at the moment for English versions of our software.

We regret to inform you that there is no such converter available in any of our software. Probably the feature allowing to convert image files from other backup applications will be implemented in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Drio

Drio Registered Member

Thank you for the comprehensive answers.

Cheers

Drio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.