Questions On GeSWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by metalforlife, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ohh... really!! :D

Thanks

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ups i jsut noticed it sorry :D it is a nice one:thumb:

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so will i be secure enough of just runing geswall free alone for example?thanks

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Well I have it running along side Avira Free and I feel safe and secure.

Ice

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are you using the free version of geswall?thanks

6. metalforlife

metalforlife Registered Member

I don't know what exactly you mean by "secure enough", but let me tell you that it is not as comprehensive or as all-rounded as a classical HIPS. It will not protect around the PC, it will only guard individual applications that you tell it to. There probably are ways to set-up system-wide protections, but still, you won't find it as flexible as a classical HIPS.

GeSWall belongs to the "sandbox" family.

7. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Its a totally different app compared to a classical HIPS. GW actually excels at flexability IMHO. It doesn't ask a barrage of ?'s it just does what it is supposed to. Also, it doesn't simply guard specific app's it protects the core of the OS along with other critical components. I agree that GW is more similar to a sandbox than a classical HIPS; more like a hybrid really.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Yep. Using the free version along with Avira. IMHO, they are the best free security programs out there along with SBIE. Not hard to setup and provide superior protection. Let's face it, most malware and viruses that the normal everyday user will come across will be from a rogue website (drive-by downloads) or from a email attachment. If you isolate the browser and your email client with GeSWall you will have great protection and Avira to catch anything that slips by. Now with that being said you can still get infected other ways but with a little common sense, you should be good.

Just my .02 cents,
    Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.