Questions for technical support

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Srdjan, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Srdjan

Srdjan Registered Member

1.I noticed that you now instruct users to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems. However, as much as I can remember from your earlier posts it was not mandatory when the disk cloning was initiated in Windows. According to your former instructions this was true only when the disk cloning script was defined upon booting with Acronis CD. What has changed now ?

2. Acronis True Image Corporate Work Station has lower build number (at the moment 8.0.1213) compared to edition for home users (9.0.2337). Does that mean that drivers and/or other components included with CWS edition are older ?

3. When the ATI option to Add New Disk is considered it is unclear to me whether it is able to make appropriate changes in registry to account for new drive letter assignments after the new drive was added ?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Srdjan ,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that it does not matter where from your perform cloning, from Windows or booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue CD. If you are cloning a hard drive then you should unplug one of them (a source or a destination one) right after the cloning.

Please be aware that these are two different products and they have a different builds enumeration. It does not mean that if the build number of one product less than the other one then it contains old drivers. Please be aware that Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation (build 1213) has the latest drivers included.

This feature allows you to add a new disk to your system (format it, assign a letter to it). Could you please clarify what exact changes in registry you are interested in?

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Srdjan

Srdjan Registered Member

Let`s consider the folowing situation. The existing drive has two partitions C (primary, bootable) and D (extended, logical). We want to add new disk with two partitions, one primary (non bootable) and one logical. Windows XP will assign the letter C to the first primary partition on the old disk, then it will search for the next primary partition (new disk) which will be assigned the letter D. Then follows the assigning of letters to logical partitions as E (old disk) and F (new disk). After the new disk was added the registry entries for programs which were installed on D (when the first disk was the only disk in the system) now still point to D:\ although those entries should now point to E:\ in orders for programs to start. What I wanted to ask is whether the ATI "Add New Disk" option can do search and replace D:\ -> E:\ or users must do that manually.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Srdjan,

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my previous explanation.

Actually, this "Add New Disk Wizard" does not allow you to assign a letter to the partitions created on a new hard drive. All the letters are assigned by the operating system automatically. So Acronis True Image cannot search and replace a drive letters as you have mentioned.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.