Questions about Trial Version

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by handinglove, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handinglove

handinglove Registered Member

Thanks again for your interest, IcePanter!

Yes, I meant to say ~470 000 and not 47 000, sorry! Regarding my hardware configuaration, my system is a laptop (1GB RAM), and I suppose (not sure, though) my HDD reads at 5400rpm, which might account for the lower performance when compared with desktop based systems. I haven’t really tried running a scan with ZA off, but might try it next time, thanks for the tips!

Cheers

2. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

You're welcome, handinglove.

If that's ~470 000 files that's more of a normal scan time, if your HD's a little slow. Anyway, your config is pretty similar to mine, (1GB ram / 5400 RPM HD w/ 8MB cache) so I'd be looking for a software issue. (I had a 4200 RPM hdd with only 2mb cache before -the one that was built into the laptop, and it was noticeably slower, so you may want to double-check)

Maybe also there are more complex archives in your machine, in which case it can take a little more time.

Let us know how the scan w/o ZA goes

Cheers

3. handinglove

IcePanter,

I just finished a thorough scan without ZA (and system restore back on): 477042 files scanned on 52min!

4. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

So...

I guess I was right about ZA being a hog ! If you need a less power consuming firewall, my choice would be Outpost, but if you want a free one, COMODO (latest version ) is known to pass all leaktests. Though, I couldn't make it run on my system because it kept destroying TCP/IP driver. Also Jetico is quite good, but uneasy to set up.

Well, it's just your choice, you may want to keep ZA but if it slows down scans much, you may consider getting another firewall product, there are good and free ones, whoch will provide same protection but will be less resource hungry.

Glad to see the cause of the problem has been found, too :)

5. handinglove

Thanks again IcePanter and everyone out there who helped me! I'm not sure yet if I'm going to get rid of ZA Pro (paid copy), but so far I'm very pleased with my evaluation of NOD32 and the level of support found here - definitely going to take place on my system as resident AV!

Cheers!

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Now that we have narrowed the issue down to ZoneAlarm, then I would try the following once again:

Copy and Paste the following link into your web-browser: http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_winsockxpfix.html

Then save the program to your desktop

After this run the program and follow the prompts.

When complete it will reboot your system.

AFTER the above please go to the NOD32 Control Centre, and Click on IMON and restart IMON.

Then reboot your PC.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

7. handinglove

Blackspear,

I proceeded exactly as you mentioned, then ran a scan with ZA on: 476979 files scanned in 53min . . . I’m stunned! What did that miraculous little execute do? Would you advise me to run it periodically? Anyway thank you much for your help!

Cheers!

8. Blackspear

It repaired Winsock and your TCP/IP Stack, basicly too many pieces of software want to be No.1, and there can only be one No.1. And no, do not do this on a regular basis, as there isn't a need.

You are welcome.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

just a word of warning for anyone else that downloads and runs that particular fixer of LSP/TCP - this fixer also clears your hosts file and doesn't appear to backup the old one, and seemed to change the network settings to use DHCP, blowing away the fixed IP address and DNS servers that I had hard-set in my XP settings.

10. Blackspear

Thanks for that, I'll add the warning into the Tutorial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.