Questions about Trend Micro Internet Security 11

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Thorny, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Recently my daughter has been having trouble downloading pop videos from Yahoo launch website, I believe that this site will only stream through IE using the Windows player plug in 6.4. The problem is when on the Launch site and choosing a video to watch, the player will load and show the small video clip to establishing a download speed okay, but will not buffer and play the actual video although the player indicates that it is playing.

I have uninstalled the Trend firewall choosing to stay with Sygate and just use the Trend antivirus program, checking Sygate running applications window I can see the video stream is downloading to TmProxy.exe. The problem appears to be that IE and windows player do not see the stream, and subsequently report Yahoo Launch error code 15! After a lot of trial and error I finally discovered that removing the scan Webmail option in the Trend antivirus program cured the problem, and the videos now load and play correctly. But looking at Sygates running applications window when a stream is in progress, it shows IE6 connected directly to the Net with nothing streaming through TmPoxy.exe.

Questions:

1. Can anyone please explain to me why this is happening and is it normal?

2. Is there a way to stream the videos and also protect webmail?

Any help on this subject would be gratefully received at my end!

In conclusion I am running Windows XP SP2, Windows Media Player 10, IE6 latest patches installed, Trend Micro Internet Security 11 verson 11.41 build 5015 engine 7.100 (firewall uninstalled) and Sygate Personal Firewall version 5.6 build 2808.

Many Thanks

Thorny :)

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I cannot advise specifically on the current tmproxy.exe as I have not tried PC-Cillin 2005. I can tell you though that tmproxy.exe in versions 2003 and 2004 was extremely buggy. In 2003 it caused horrible problems (the worst problems I have ever encountered on my two computers). I and two others almost simultaneously discovered the bug in tmproxy.exe and I spent over two hours on the phone with a senior engineer explaining the bug. He later called me back and confirmed that the bug had been reproduced on their test machines and was serious. I was promised a patch for 2003 and 2004, which had just entered beta at the time, was promised to fix the problem completely.

Well, Trend Micro never issued a patch, never put the bug on their website as promised and did not fix the serious bug in 2004. I don't know if it is fixed in 2005 and don't intend to find out. My browsing was totally crippled by the bug and I was advised to remove tmproxy.exe while waiting for the patch that never came. I didn't mind removing it at the time because I had no webmail.

The problem you are reporting that is caused evidently by tmproxy.exe is a little different that the browsing problems I and the others experienced. Still, it is a browsing problem caused by tmproxy.exe and this coupled with the sad history of tmproxy.exe which was new in PC-Cillin 2003 makes me think Trend has never fixed this or only partially fixed it and some browsing problems are still be caused by it.

I have no solutions other than what you have already done. If you need web mail protection then I would suggest getting a different av.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello,

I too had a few minor problems with web browsing when I used PC-cillin 2002. I thought it was my error at the time. TmProxy.exe also exists on PCC 2002. Does that mean these bugs probably happen on 2002 also? Many people still use 2002 as part of Asus' OEM deal with Trend (free with many asus mobos). If that is the case, then it is very serious.

Let me tell you something: Trend only does a major revamp of their program every two years. PC-cillin 2001 was an exception but it never came out except in Japan. If you download Virus Buster 2001 from Trend Micro Japan, then you get PCC2001 complete with logos in English (which you do not get if you download Japanese version of PCC2002 - Logos for e-mail scan, webscan etc are in Japanese).

PC-cillin 2003 was just an 'improvement' to PC-cillin 2002, with just bug fixes and improvements made to the same code. PCC 2004 contained new code, and PCC 2005 is an 'improvement' to that. So I think it could be partially fixed in 2005. IF 2003 had such problems, then 2002 must have had even more! Remember that Trend NEVER sent PCC 2002 to VB100 for testing.

Just a word of notice.

With Regards,
    Firecat

4. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Mele20 & Firecat

Thanks for the information, not looking too good is it? :(

I don't know why but Trend market their software with different titles here in the UK, although the features and functions appear to read across. Let me explain, I have Trend Micro Internet Security 11 which looks as if it's the same software package as Trend Micro PC chillin Internet Security 2004. The latest version here in the UK is Trend Micro Internet Security 12 which appears to be a renamed Trend Micro PC cillin Internet Security 2005.

So reading your comments, it looks as likely that the version I am running still has the faulty tmproxy.exe file. I could upgarde to the latest version for £19.95, but this is a risk because Trend do not publish software fixes I still don't know the status of the software. Hmm... looks as if I will be looking for another antivirus program, which is a shame as the setup I have runs really light on this computer.

Before everyone starts shouting NOD32, I managed to live with it installed for a week before deleting it as it kept crashing/hanging my computer during close down! (not the current version)

Cheers,

Thorny

5. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Hi Thorny.....

I had the same problem you are having when I was using Trend Micro Internet Security 2004 (TMIS 11). I could not run streaming video at Yahoo Launch unless I disabled Webmail scanning. I am now running TMIS 2005 (TMIS12) with Webmail scanning enabled, and I'm able to watch streaming videos at Yahoo Launch with no problems. So it looks like Trend Micro fixed the problem. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How interesting. I was new to PC-Cillin 2003. I really liked it ....except for the tmproxy.exe bug. Trend told me that tmproxy.exe was new for 2003 and I had no reason to not believe them since I had not used 2002. The woman who reported the bug, just before I and another person realized what was causing our problem and reported it, was a long term PC-Cillin user. I recall her stating on the web site where she had posted all of her problems (and I found her via Google) that PC-Cillin didn't have this problem in 2002.

That doesn't mean that there weren't problems with tmproxy.exe in the 2002 version. It just means that the problems she, I, and the third person, had were different from problems with it in 2002. Or maybe there weren't any in 2002 or maybe no one discovered the problems until 2003.

Our problems involved a gradual corruption of tmproxy.exe. Those who used their computers for an hour or so a day and then shut them down over night would never know there was a severe bug in tmproxy.exe as the corruption would not occur that fast and shutting down and rebooting the next day would clear the corruption.

The problem manifested for those of us who were heavy computer users and who only rebooted after 6 hours or more of use of the computer. I had W98SE at the time and I managed resources very well on that box. I never turned off the computer (even at night) and rebooted about once every 24 hours unless something I installed required rebooting sooner than that.

After about 8 hours of use, without a reboot, I would begin to see extremely strange errors while browsing. For instance, I would type in a web address in the address bar and instead of being taken there, I would get a Microsoft email server! :D This server would complain loudly that I had not entered the correct commands in the time alloted. Huho_O It would demand that I enter the correct commands a second time! Other times, when on this site, as an example, if I clicked on a thread, I would get Google instead and the Google images would be dslreports images (that is my home site)! I also frequently, when on dslr and I would click on something there, get dslr's apache server instead. :eek: It treated me as though I was admin for dslr and it showed me all sorts of information that users are not privy to. ;) Once, I clicked on a forum at dslr and got Yahoo instead even though dslreports.com was in the address bar and the images were from CNN.

Those are just a very few of the many strange errors that would occur. The longer I went without rebooting the worse the errors until I would not even be able to hit the back button and actually go back to the page I was on before. I would instead get taken to a different site that had images perhaps from Wilders but the site was Medscape and I had hit the back button on dslreports when this happened and the address bar still said dslreports although I was seeing Medscape content on the screen. The images from Wilders would actually be a single image partly say Wilders logo but it would be broken and in the same image would be say the Medscape logo. Sometimes what I would get was so strange that I thought I must be hallucinating. So, I was so relieved to find others experiencing the same problems. I, of course, had posted about my surfing problems but no one had any idea how to help and, I suspect, many thought I was making it up because it was so odd.

You can imagine my consternation and puzzlement when these strange things would happen. In retrospect, I could see that it began as soon as I downloaded PC-Cillin 2003 (but was very mild in the beginning) and continued for several months before I finally connected the browsing error to PCC and not rebooting often. It was an offhand one sentence remark by another user who ditched PCC 2003, in the dslr Security forum, that turned on a lightbulb in my brain. I then began to scour the internet and found this woman who, like me, thought she was going crazy until she sought help at a website and during the help process connected PCC to her weird problems when surfing. She called Trend before I did and they thought she was crazy. When I called and described the exact same weird errors Trend paid more attention and I mentioned the third party who had posted (and I had followed up with him in private messages) with the same symptoms. Trend confirmed the bug and as I said earlier promised a patch for 2003 and a fix for 2004 but didn't deliver the patch and I heard did not fix tmproxy.exe in 2004 but I didn't try that version. Trend's "temporary" fix was, as I mentioned earlier, to tell us to delete tmproxy.exe which was a solution only if you didn't have web mail.

Your problems seem different so perhaps it was partially fixed in 2004?

7. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Mele20,

Wow, I am glad that I didn't experience your problems:eek:

Before I posted here I did a search of Google for an answer, I didn't find anything that helped me but I came across this link which confims what you say about 2003 being faulty http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_t.htm I take it that after your problems you decided not to stay with Trend?

Mannaggia, I am interested to know if you are happy with 2005? I am not sure that I will renew my licence though!

Cheers,

Thorny

8. Mannaggia

Hi Thorny. On a scale of 1-5 on how happy I am with TMIS 2005, I would have given it a 3. Some what happy, but kept thinking maybe I should go with something else.[​IMG] That was before I read Mele20's post.

First let me say the only trouble I was having with TMIS 2005 had to do with sending e-mail with a streaming video attachment. TMIS 2005 wouldn't let them out. They would just hang at about 70% sent. It didn't matter if I received the attachment from a friend, TMIS 2005 let them in, or if they were originating from me. I finally disabled the Outgoing E-Mail Scanner, and the problem was solved. I thought no big deal, I can live with that.

But after reading Mele20's post above about her problelm with trying to go to a certain site, and ending up at a different one, it got me thinking. This sort of thing has happened to me several times. I just though it had something to do with IE or my computer. Now I'm not too sure. When I click on the IE "E" icon to get to my homepage, I would wind up at the Windows Update page. Thinking about it, I realized that this didn't happen before I installed TMIS 2005. I'm going to uninstall TMIS 2005 and install NAV 2005 I have laying around just to make sure. I want to see if the Windows Update page instead of my homepage thing happens with NAV installed.

Sorry for the long drawn out answer to your question.[​IMG] Like I said, this just dawned on me after reading Mele20's post.

Good luck with your decission. [​IMG]

9. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I believe that is normal, for your browser to periodically get redirected to the Windows Update {WU} site. It is *not* a homepage hijacking, you can confirm that by clicking on View, Go To Home Page after being redirected to WU; and it will take you back to your homepage. I have been running NAV for years, on all three of my home PCs, ant the redirection to WU happens on all of them occasionally. I think that is normal ;)

10. Mannaggia

Hmmm. I can't recall that happening before I started using TMIS 2005, but that doesn't mean it didn't. Memory loss is beginning to creep into the old brain cells. [​IMG] [​IMG] I will give your suggestion a try the next time it happens. Thanks Randy.

11. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Mannaggia,

Thanks for your answer, I think your score is about where I would put Trend as well! Although the program does a good job at stopping viuses, I also have a couple of nagging doubts about it! I am finding it difficult to make a rational decision about whether to upgrade or not as I now have doubts in my mind about Trend, not least their commitment to individual users ..... no response to my emails about tmpoxy problems. So I am going to try a few of he 30 day trials on offer and see which Antivirus program suits me and my setup. Hmmm and perhaps try their tech support before parting with any hard cash; who knows at that point I may well decide that upgrade to Trend is not such a bad option after all! :rolleyes:

I think that Randy is probably right about the redirection of IE pages, IE going straight to Microsoft's Update Webpage also happen to me before I was running Trend. Unfortunately I think it's all too easy to start becoming too paranoid about these things ... yep me too! I know Norton has really good detection rates (VB100), but reading around the Net, the reviews from individual users indicates that it is a lot more bloated than 2005.

Everybody on this forum have been just great, real helpful assistance without one adverse personal comment .... really appreciate you guys, Thanks! :D

Cheers,

Thorny

12. Mannaggia

I know exactly how you feel. I think it's a good idea to give a few of those 30 day trials a try. I've tried few also.[​IMG] I also agree with your statement about the people here at this forum. They are helpful and friendly. I know, because I've asked a lot of questions. [​IMG]

Mannaggia

13. Firecat

Actually, I'd like to put a correction to my earlier post. I remember a tmproxy.exe in PC-cillin 9.02 and in the Japanese Virus Buster (9.00). Maybe I just downloaded a hacked version. But my Asus OEM PCC 2002 9.05 does NOT have tmproxy.exe. Maybe they removed it later?

14. Firecat

Actually I stopped using PC-cillin after 2003. I did have some of the problems Mele20 mentioned, but it was very slight and so I did not mind. What pissed me off was that PCC failed to detect a particular Trojan on my PC even though it was in its database. Although thats the only such case I'd had so far. Scan Engine 7.0 fixed it for me.

When Scan Engine 7.0 was launched, it was only initially available for download. I manually installed it. Once I reinstalled PCC, I decided to see whether it is available on their update servers. There was a new build of 7.0 (internal build was higher). However, if I had manually installed the older build, I could not get the new build through updates. Anyone faced this?

Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.