Questions about TOR

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I have some very basic questions about TOR that I am having trouble understanding. I am reading a book that came out earlier this year about Wikileaks and the 1st half isn't even about that really but rather the history of cryptography and anonymity. I find it interesting but also hard to follow as I am not really familiar with it and have never used TOR or anything like it. So lets say I connect to internet from home using either Comcast or Verizon Fios and I visit Yahoo, NY Times, & ESPN.com. I assume that Verizon or Comcast has logs of those sites that my ip visited. But if I connect using TOR bundle/browser would Comcast or Verizon not really be able to tell those sites were visited? And if not what would appear that my ip visited? Similar question but from the website side, without TOR I assume those sites can log my ip but they can't when using TOR is that right?

If instead of just visiting sites let's say I logged in to Yahoo mail or GMAIL. Does the act of logging in remove the anonymity of using TOR even if it were a fake name/email? Meaning does logging in give up actual ip even when using TOR? If you had say multiple gmail or yahoo mail accounts and some were accessed without TOR and some with TOR would Google or Yahoo know those were connected to the same ip? I am assuming my first question above about Comcast or Verizon would still apply in this scenario in that logging in would not make any difference.

Thanks.

roark

2. Yes they have logs of what you have visited. If you connect VIA TOR your ISP will only be able to tell that your connected to a TOR entry node, nothing else. But if your DNS leaks then they can still & do log your DNS requests.

They still log the i.p but it will only show that your coming from a TOR exit node.

Only if you use the email address with your real I.P too. Never mix anonymous and real life identities.

TOR exit nodes are very well known, a website will know your coming from a TOR exit node. Some sites even build scripts to block TOR users.

The short answer is yes. Network analysis can put your real i.p and TOR exit node traffic together to find out who you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.