Questions about spyware

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Rita, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hello everyone
    I have a two part question.First does every site you visit leave a spyware cookie?It would seem so because I use all my progs and clean the computer every day before I shut down and I always have at least three spyware things to remove.nothing major,just low risk ones.Second question is why doesnt the progs warn you your about to download spyware like spybot does fastclick,avenue a and doubleclick.Are these three more common than the others.Why only a warning about these particular ones?just something I've been wondering about for a long time.thanks

2. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Hi rita! Since im using Firefox i dont get infected by net garbbage anymore...unlike it was with IE. It could help you also disable cookies..and add manually the cookies you wanna have in your system.

:D

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi Rita,
    I have not had Adaware or Spybot find ANYTHING for 12 months or so.
    Now I'm using Firefox these days but I still religiously clear history, cookies and cache (Temp internet files in IE) after any session. If I didn't, I'm sure these apps would find something. I also use 'cleanup' from http://www.stevengould.org/
    Cheers,
    Brad.

4. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

Hey ritaann, just block those cookies with firefox. You can do it manually, or use spywareblaster to import a blacklist into your cookie list.

or better yet block all third party cookies, see

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Brad
    I always clear history and temp internet files also.I will try the link for cleanup you gave--thanks

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks Labrie and firefox guy for replying and for the tips.appreciate it.

7. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Ritaann - if u continue to use Internet Explorer, u can prevent this spyware by installing SpywareBlaster. Bear in mind that u must update frequently - failure to do so allows the spyware into ur computer.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Peaches
    I have spywareBlaster installed,also spybot s&d,adware se,giant,and ewido.There is something in spywareBlaster that becomes unchecked about every day though which is vloading,when I do a spyware check on aol it finds v loading as spyware and I block it there and also go to spywareBlaster and check it again.Something keeps unchecking it though.It wouldnt be aol I wouldnt think because it's found as an elevated threat in their scanner.So I block it there and also check it in SB but every time I look it's unchecked.I do keep all the progs updated religiously.I clean the computer every night before I shut down also.

9. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Rita - check out these sites which may be helpful.

VLoading see here ..
    http://www.regblock.com/spydet_411_vloading.html

How to Detect and Remove VLoading?
    VLoading Description:
    VLoading is an ActiveX control placed on web sites to load and run an EXE file. Allows unwanted surreptitious automatic software download, installation, and execution.
    http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_vloading.htm

VLoading Manual Removal: - full instructions, click on the URL above.
    Follow these steps to remove VLoading from your machine. Begin by backing up your registry and your system, and/or setting a Restore Point, to prevent trouble if you make a mistake.

P.S. Rita - disable ur ActiveX in IE will help this pest from re-entering ur puter.

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks Peaches.I will go and read the info from the links you provided
    thank you

11. VectorThunder

VectorThunder Registered Member

If you use Firefox then set the 'Keep Cookies' option to 'ask me every time' then say no to any request unless it's a site that requires them to access it fully. Same goes for IE. I never have cookies set except for a tiny number of sites - Yahoo, Hotmail, Google and they all get cleared at the end of every session.

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi VectorThunder
    I set IE keep cookies, to ask me every time--thanks

13. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

ritaann, I know a lot of members are always suggesting that Internet Explorer users change over to Mozilla Firefox, and a lot of members think, it won't make that much difference. But I have recently changed over and I love using firefox, its so much nicer to use compared to Internet Explorer :)

Jimbob

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Jimbob
    One of these days soon,I will change over too,have thought about it but just never done it yet,seems everyone likes it better than IE.You have a good evening
    Rita

15. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

My thoughts were very similar to yours Rita but then out of the blue, I felt like doing something different and changed over. It only took me a few moments and I've found many advantages.

Jimbob

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I changed a while back and have never looked back, just love tabbing, and more importantly it is far more secure.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

17. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks Blackspear
    I am going to change,being more secure is what I want!!and need!

18. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Yes, that's very true. I have found a couple of things wrong with it, but it probably won't be enough for me to dump it. First off, it doesn't seem to do scripting very well. For example: here at Wilders I enjoy two features of IE that Firefox doesn't give me. 1) Using the smilie icons at right here on the "reply" page only puts the stupid things at the end of the message I'm typing here instead of where the cursor is. 2) Pointing to a thread link in IE brings up a nice long description of the thread, here in Firefox it MAY be a line long and even that is a jarbled mess. But more importantly, Firefox is initially slower at loading a page and it times out a HECK of a lot more than IE. But whatever I guess nobody really cares what I have to say

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Eric
    I care about what you have to say :) and bet alot of others do too!

20. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Eric

Actually my experience is the same as yours, i have tried FF on several install's, but it has been slower than Opera and IE (i know, hard to believe :D ) everytime. So i am glad you posted, i now know that i'm not alone. ;) :)

21. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.