Questions About Spyware Guard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Kiara777, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiara777

Kiara777 Registered Member

I'm new to home computing coming from an office LAN. Friend told me to download SWB and SG for protection. Have read some of the messages in this forum so I know that there are hardly any updates. I am not interested in uninstalling any of the two programs. However, I have three elementary questions about SG. First when I installed SG, I saved the update and program icons to the desktop. This also produced the icon in the system tray. If I delete the desktop icons, will it affect the icon in the system tray? Secondly, is there a difference between exiting when clicking on the "file" in the menu or the large "X" on the upper right hand side of the screen after right clicking on the SG in the system tray to bring up program screen? Does anyone know of any compatibility problems with SG, SWB and the following that I have running on my computer: NAV, Ad-aware, and Giant Antispyware?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can just click the x ,I have been doing it for a year with no problems. You can delete the sg update icon and the sg icon from the desktop and you can still acess them from start/all files and swb and sg are there.

bigc

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

If i may add,

clicking on "file" then "exit" disables Spywareguard. That's why there is a second desktop icon, to renable in case this happens.

snowbound

4. bigc73542

From start /all files this is what is there so you can reenable sg if accidently shut down

Attached Files:

5. Kiara777

Thanks bigc for your quick response. One more thing to add. Clicking on the desktop SG update gets me a response. When clicking on the second desktop SG nothing happens. The same takes place the start-all programs file. The implication you gave me is that if I deleted the two desktop icons, the system tray SG would also be eliminated. If this does happen, then I do not believe that I would ever be able to bring up the main screen since no response takes place in the all programs file.

6. bigc73542

as long as the task ber icon is there the desktop icon does nothing, but if the program is closed and the task bar icon is gone the desktop icon when clicked restarts the program and the task bar icon will return. You can restart the program from the link in all programs also. Deleting the desktop icons will not remove the task bar icon.

bigc

7. Kiara777

Thanks to bigc73542 and snowbound for your explanations. You have answered my first two questions. I guess the third question about any problems of compatibility with SG,SWB, NAV, Ad-aware SE, and Giant Antispyware running parallel with each other remains to be seen.

8. snowbound

Hmm...., in my programs all i have is the Spywareguard Live Update option. o_O

As far as compatibility, i have had all the apps.(except Giant) u listed at one time or another along with Spywareguard and have never had any problems.

Glad we could help. :)

snowbound

9. Under0ath

Under0ath Registered Member

All the programs you have listed Kiara777, I have instaleld on my computer. However I am considering removing Giant, just because I believe there are better programs out there. SWG doesn't interfere with any of the programs, and nor do any of the other programs interfere with SWG.

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You do not mention whether you intend running AdAware with AdWatch resident in the tray - if you are just going to use it as a demand scanner then certainly no problem. Indeed I have the same combination as you, except for the AV, and I have no conflict. Also, it is most unlikely that NAV will interfere.

11. Under0ath

Under0ath Registered Member

AdWatch only comes with the Professional Edition, if I am correct. Ad Aware SE Personal does not come with that feature.

12. snowbound

Ad-aware Plus has this function also. ;)

snowbound

13. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

So, if I'm running AdawareSEPlus with AdWatch running as an RTM, should I use Spyware Guard or would that be too redundant? I know many anti-malware apps can complement one another but I'm wondering if two RTM proggies trying to do essentially the same thing would cause conflicts. Thanks! :cool:

14. bigc73542

I personally have never had spywareguard conflict with anything before.

bigc

15. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Ahhhh....bigc, you were too quick to reply to my question so now I need to reply to your post. I was just going to edit my original post 'cuz I scrolled down the board about 7 or 8 threads to this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16699&highlight=Adwatch

and found the answer to my question!

My bad! But also, my good! I think I'll add Spyware Guard to my litany of anti-malware apps which include Spyware Blaster, AdawareSePlus, Spybot S&D, NIS2003, TH, et al. Can't hurt, eh?

Thanks for the quick response and a very Merry Christmas to you! :D

16. bigc73542

Spywareguard seems to be a very useful addition to the security arsenal :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.