Questions About Outpost Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brandonn2010, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I have been thinking of switching to it from ZoneAlarm because I noticed it shows all active connections which I don't think ZoneAlarm does, but I could be wrong. My questions are:

1. Can you choose during installation to not install the AV, etc. or does it have to be turned off later?

2. Can the HIPS be easily disabled? I'm tired of answering alerts I don't understand.

3. Does it play well with AVs?

4. Is it lighter than ZoneAlarm; I have heard 7.1 is heavy.

5. If I get it, should I wait until the free version of 7.5 is released?

Thanks!

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

My experience is that when you install Outpost it will detect your other AV and ask if you want to keep it or not.

3. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Hey, well it's been couple of years when ive used zonealarm free FW. I dont think it shows active connections unless they have changed it?

1. Free security suit from outpost, i havent tested sry. Well you can turn it off later im sure, dont know about on install phase.

2. HIPS is easy to disable atleast in Outpost FW Pro, i bet it's pretty similiar to Suite :) I added couple of screens. Hope it helps, pretty easy to disable HIPS.

3. Ive used numerous AV's with this, havent had eny problems.

4. Id say 7.5 would maybe be lighter than zonealarm, still as i said it's been years. So i dont know for sure :doubt:

5. I think it would take a while to release 7.5 suite, they do add hotfixes etc to 7.1 suite. Sry i couldnt be too helpful with these answers.

Eny other folks who use Free Suite here? Could you help this fella? :)

Attached Files:

• 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

That's true.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

If I was you (and I'm not) here is what I would do to answer these questions:

1) No, during install it will tell you to uninstall the other AV. Make sure you use the vendor utility to remove their AV or suite 1st before doing the OP install.

2) Yes, but understanding HIPS alerts is a learning challenge for users. Turning off the security feature because of learning is like turning off the lights on your car dash that your brakes need changing. DANGEROUS!

3) I use OP FW Pro 7.5 with Nod32 5, but as the OP free is a suite I think it has an AV embedded so you don't care about this AV question. BUT, slow down and check to ensure OP free has an AV, as you would not want a setup with no AV. Remember 1 AV active at a time.

4) All security products consume resources so it varies from vendor to vendor and by version to version within vendor. IF you really really care and MUST know, measure how much ZA takes on YOUR setup now before doing anything then capture cpu minutes, ram memory and disk space used.
    Then do the same when you install the OP free and report back your results. This is the only way you will ever KNOW this on your setup.
    Are you running on a low resource low power setup?

5) Why wait? Do it now and find out if you can drive this "car" and like it.

6) Before doing anything, take a full image backup of your whole setup and a separate backup of all your user files, word, jpg's etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.