questions about firefox 3.6.2and Kubuntu Security

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I am sorry if I am asking dumb questions but I just installed Kubuntu yesterday .
    Today I found out that firefox is 3.5.8.I looked at the repositories but Firefox 3.6.2 is not there.I can not update firefox.Since I am new to Linux I do not want to mess up.Is there an easy way to update Firefox? Or should I wait till it is in the repositories.
    I would also like to learn the basic security precautions for Kubuntu.I am behind a NAT Router and I managed to use OpenDNS today.Do I need a firewall or antivirus or anything else.I do not want to be hit by a virus before I learn the basics of Linux.Also I can see the contents of the WindowsXP and the data partition from here(I found out while I was playing music in Amarok that I can play windows files).So if Linux is hit by a virus I can loose my WindowsXP.Is there a way to prevent this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

In Kubuntu, click on Applications, Systems, and then scroll down to right-click on KPackageKit to add it to your Kbutton panel - then execute it by clicking on the icon.

You need to first reload the repositories, then search for Firefox by name. I use Ubuntu and Synaptic Package Manager, and it appears there are even 3.7 versions of Firefox available - however, my /etc/apt/sources.list is expanded from the original to allow for many other available packages in the repositories. One thing you might do before the above is to edit out the '#' comment sign at the start of the original /etc/apt/sources.list file by using the commands from a Terminal window;
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /etc/apt
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudoedit sources.list

Note: Follow keystroke help at bottom of window, and then save the file after removing the '#' character on the lines that are not comments. Then reload the repositories and search by name for just Firefox which hopefully finds version 3.6.2 by now.

I am behind a NAT router also, but I have stealthed its ports and modified the ISP's DNS defaults to OpenDNS servers for both the primary and secondary. I also have a small script that initializes iptables rules on my computer - it drops anything that is not requested. You can find it here - use the Beginners edition link at the bottom of the post. Note: I normally power up my router after I have run the firewall script.

-- Tom

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks I added ubuntuzilla package from SourceForge net and installed firefox 3.6.2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.