Questions about AVs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Im thinking about purchasing a licence for NAV 09 but I would like to know how soon Nod32 v4 and Avira v9 will reach final release and do either of those products have features or improvements which might give them a clear edge over NAV 09. As per AV comparatives last on demand test NAV had detection rates comparable to Nod32 and Avira. I just dont want to spend money on a license if something better is just around the corner.

2. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I've been greatly disappointed by NOD32's performance nowadays and I urgently recommend you to buy either Avira or Norton! Both are top notch AV programs, you cannot go wrong. I personally prefer Avira due to it's splendid detection and removal capabilities ;)

Why don't you have a look at other AV programs as well? Just to name a few: Kaspersky, Drweb, Gdata, F-Secure etc...

If you're money was limited, you could also try out AV-programs with lifetime licenses such as my new favorite antivirus named Twister or Outpost's Security Suite, an all in one package for basically everything...Have a look at these two, because Twister is doing a brilliant job, it is light, finds a great deal of threats and includes serveral enhancements such as their FDDS technology or Registry-Protection and PowerRemoval for deeply rooted files you want to get rid of...for only 30 bucks, and I can benefit from it for my entire life...

I hope I could help you ;)

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

With that in mind use a free av. :doubt:

5. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Hi Zetelo,

Any reasons as to why Nod32 has lost favour with you?

Ive trialled Avira and I like it, its just that they are working on a new build and I dont want to spend cash on a license without knowing what the final version is going to be like.

With regards to Nod32, its an AV with a great reputation in terms of detection, low FPs and a light footprint. I know that they are working on v4 and Im interested in seeing if they will make any giant strides with this new version. Some posters on this forum were recently waxing lyrical about its cleaning abilities.

I really like NAV because of its lightness and low FPs, also it has good detection rates I just dont want to commit if Nod32 v4 or Avira v9 comes out soon and blows it out of the water.

Ive considered Kaspersky but its 09 build is already out and its comparable to NAV so I prefer NAV.

As for the rest of the AVs you mentioned Gdata sounds interesting, great detection according to AV comparatives, although its on demand scanning speed is onlly medium. Fsecure has weaker detection compared to the rest and DrWeb I have no idea as it isnt on AV comparatives.

Twister is an AV that I AM interested in. Ive heard good things but I also heard that it has lots of FPs, which turned me off. Perhaps things have changed since I last checked it out. I might just give it a spin.

6. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Yeah, of course. :shifty:

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.