Questioning CWShredder

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by pdmike, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdmike

pdmike Registered Member

This is a request for general information, rather than anything specific to my particular log files.

I have CWShredder on my computer. I am also currently being plagued with the about:blank problem. I will run CWShredder. It will tell me that it has removed a CWSearchX incident and fixed 6 infected registry entries. It will then tell me that my system is completely clean.

Then, as I continue to operate my computer, within 5 minutes or so, I will be informed by my main spyware program (WinPatrol) that there has been a change to my Internet home page and do I agree with that, etc. If I click on No, my home page stays where I want it (Alta Vista). If I click on yes, I will be returned to about:blank.

Now here's the interesting thing - I just noticed that, among the several dozen spyware incidents listed in CWShredder, is CWAbout Blank! And every time I run CWShredder, it always slips right over CWAbout Blank, telling me it is "not present."

But it clearly IS present - because I have to keep fighting it on a regular basis if I want to use my computer.

Why does CWShredder tell me my system is completely clean and always tells me that about:blank is "not pressent" when (1) my system is NOT "completely clean" and (2) about:blank clearly IS present?

Is CWShredder not all that it is cracked up to be? If it is, then what is the explanation for my experience with it? Has anyone else experienced what I am talking about?

pdmike

2. wodz

wodz Registered Member

I did follow the instruction at the end of CWShredder to remove JAVA from my system. I did and it helped a lot I was fine for three days (not 5 minutes like you) Today I've got the same cwsearchx sh** again. I've ceaned it up with CWShredder and hope for another few hours of peace.

However, I need my JAVA for on-line board games. I am not very happy either.

Paul

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

CWShredder is actually a specifically targeted repair tool. It is effective only on certain known CWS infections, but not all of them. New versions of CWShredder are released from time to time as the threats continue to evolve, but it is always playing catch-up with the threats out there.

Also, CWShredder is not a protection product. If you keep getting infected over and over it is because your security settings are to loose. You need to improve your security in order to stop new infections. This thread is a good starting place:

Why did I get infected in the first place

Spyware has and uses many entry points into your system. Blocking one entry point is not enough, whether that is ActiveX, Java or active scripting. A layered approach to security is best. Set tight security settings. Look into using a Hosts file, a restricted zone tool, an active monitor for browser hijacks and spyware, and passive protections like SpywareBlaster or similar tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.