Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CraigM31, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigM31

CraigM31 Registered Member

I have now have the following security software/items active on my computer:

1. Kaspersky Internet Security (searches for updates every 5 minutes, critical scans automatically run every hour etc.)

2. Have 2 firewalls running (Windows and Kaspersky)

3. Windows Defender fully activated with automatic updates

4. Windows auto updates turned on

5. Latest version of Spysweeper with daily scans, updates etc. and all shields running

Is there anthing else I need to keep my computer "safe" while surfing the net?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

1. All good

2. Don't do that, run either Kaspersky or Windows Firewall. My advice, shut off Windows Firewall since Kaspersky has outbound also.

3. That's ok, but look into maybe downloading the free version of either SuperAntiSpyware or MBAM as a better on-demand scanner. (Or both, two on-demand scanners hurt nothing).

4. Good to go.

5. Good, but again, see number 3.

In other words, unless you want to get into HIPS and such, you are perfectly fine (Do look into a different browser than IE if you have not already and want to do so.)

3. CraigM31

Thanks! What browser would you recommend?

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Either Firefox3 or Opera are great choices, and, unlike a lot of security software, you can use both together ;). If you use Firefox3, look into the add-ons "NoScript" and "AdBlock-Plus", they will be your best friends :) As far as Opera, I'm not sure where they were now, but there were special things written up for Opera that helped provide the same functionality as those two add-ons in FireFox3.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

For safety, there are mainly 2 choices.
    Firefox and Opera.

It comes down to personall preference.
    Please note that Opera is safer out-of-the-box, but you can add the NoScript add-on to Firefox and it becomes very safe.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree with Hurst on this. The one thing I would say is that as far as handling javascript issues, having Noscript may be easier to deal with than shutting off Javascript in Opera and manually allowing each script one by one if you find a webpage not working correctly.

7. CraigM31

Thanks for the input guys! So it would be alright to download and use Superantispyware with the programs I already have installed? I have now downloaded Opera and turned off my Windows Firewall. Windows still say's that I am not protected by a firewall even though I have Kasperkys on?

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

SAS free (on demand) can be used with them. If you sometime want to buy SAS pro version, and use it real-time, you would have to let go of SpySweeper.

As for the Firewall problem, I don't know, never used kaspersky.

How is Opera working?

9. CraigM31

Opera is working fine

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Windows has a bad habit of pulling that little stunt, it'll do it with some firewalls and some antiviruses. Try to reboot and then see what Windows says, it may need to be "reminded" of the new firewall.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Agree on XP, disagree on Vista, On Vista with LUA full or LUA quiet (TweakUAC), IE is run in protected mode, meaning the near lowest rights (also for downloaded files). With Vista you will need at least a proper dual core, with such CPU power even the much bashed performance of IE becomes a non-issue.

Quoted from Security first
    Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

CraigM31 if you have DefenseWall or SandBoxie or even GeSWall you dont need to protect you browser or use another browser thinking you will be more protected cause a policie sandbox or a virtualization sandbox will cover all your needs as long as you properly configure them.;) my 2 cents;)

13. fluteman

fluteman Registered Member

Yeah, that's because the Windows Security Center service is still running as a background process and doesn't always correctly recognize other firewall products. You can turn this process off if you don't want to see the pop-ups.

To stop Security Center from running, do the following - but a word of CAUTION - only do this if you are confident that your internet security suite is properly configured:

Right-click on "My Computer" desktop icon, select "Manage" - then "Services and Applications", then "Services" and scroll down til you find the service title "Security Center" - if you want to stop this process, right-click on the name and a dialog box will pop up that lets to Stop it and also change it from "Automatically" starting, to "Manual". This keeps the process from starting on the next reboot.

Cheers

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Underline "properly configure", which is where someone may start pulling out hairs when trying to determine what exactly a "proper configuration" is. The hairs will also come out when it's configured too high and the pop-ups start flying, or too low and something bypasses the security. If you can wrap your head around the messages they give (God knows I'm beginning to believe I'm too stupid to), then HIPS is the way to go. I appreciate apps like DefenseWall and GesWall, but I guess I'm just not big on apps making my files untrusted and running my system the way it thinks it should. I want to run my files/system the way I please, but in a safe way, and that balance is a pain in the rear end for me personally. It seems like no matter what hole I cover, one always remains.

15. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think you should get rid of Windows Defender and Spy Sweeper and replace it with SAS or MBAM. You can consider paying for the full version of either SAS or MBAM.

I think you can consider adding a sandbox like GesWall, DefenseWall, Sandboxie, or something like Returnil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.