Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JohnForger, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnForger

JohnForger Registered Member

Okay, I finally registered. It took me several years of saying "I'll do that tomorrow," but I finally did it.

Anyways...

I have a question about running two programs of the same security kin (e.g.: anti-virus) at the same time. I've heard millions of times to never run two anti-viruses at the same time, but now, thanks to the beauty of promotional offers, I have Kaspersky and Nod32.

I always ran Nod32 because it never gave me no guff about compatabilities and was the talk of the town back then. However, now that I have a big, fancy Kaspersky (it was free), it seems like such a waste to just use it for manual scans. I want it to be proactive. I want them both proactive.

So, I've been wondering if I, say, turn-off Nod32's IMON and turn on just Kaspersky's version of IMON (whatever it may be called), will the two play nice in the yard so I can sit back and do nothing for three hours?

This is extra important to me because I've heard that ESET will be throwing-out IMON with the coming of v3.0. Probably some diabolical scheme to get me, and only me, to buy their whole security suite.

Also, if I'm just gonna list my various security softwares now, just in case one of you guys know of a conflict.

Nod32 v.2.7somethingsomethingsomething
    Kaspersky v6.blahblahblah
    CounterSpy v2.0~ish (Active Protection disabled)
    Spy Sweeper v5.2 or so (Shields enabled)
    Trojan Hunter v4.6 (TrojanHunter Guard enabled)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi John

The key is not having two scanners running at the same time. If you use one for real time, besure it is disabled when you do an on demand scan, as that would end up forcing them to both scan.

My recommendation would be try each on for a while with the rest of your setup, and see which one you like better.

Pete

3. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Peter,
    Are you saying that it is ok to have two virus programs running in real time? Only the scanning by both at the same time would have repercussions?

4. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I can't speak to compatibility issues. But why run both? Why not remove NOD, try the other one, and see which one you like more and stick with it? You will be well protected with either.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, because you don't won't them both scanning at the same time. What I said was be sure to disable the real time scanner before doing an on demand scan with the other one. Frankly I just wouldn't run two period, but thats me.

Pete

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Think about it....nod & kav!!! Try to pick one over the othero_O That'd motivate me to get the box out of the basement and set it up!!! Most people would be happier than a "pig-in-a-poke" to have either one, but botho_O That'd be a dilema for anyone with just one box!!!

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its a bad move, that will eventually cause trouble, never ever recommend.

i dont see the point of using 2, i really dont.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Agreed...get another box!

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You can run more than 1 av simultaneously, i experimented with running 3 at one time with no troubles. However i wouldn't recommend it as has been stated above its bound to cause trouble sooner or later plus its a waste of resources imo. The idea of having one realtime and one on-demand is a possible solution if you only have one box.

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

http://www.chi-publishing.com/index.php?newsID=1481

11. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Running parallel can be read as both realtime. (to me it does)
    However I just quoted and gave the link.

Gerard

edit: read just=only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.