Question regarding True Image for Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SEAS, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

I want to back up my C drive to an external My Book drive.

I'm looking at getting True Image 11 for home.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

My questions are...

1. Can I back up my whole C drive (OS and all) to an external drive and restore my C drive from it IF i have a crash on the C drive.

and...

2. If my C drive is toast, can I install a new drive... format it.. then reinstall everything I backed up to my external drive and then be back in action... OS, programs, the whole 9 yards?

Thanks for your help!

James

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Yes to both questions . Also you do not have to format the replacement drive in question 2.

Xpilot

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, in priciple one can do those things. However, and this is a big however, the current build of ATI 11 can't restore to many RAID setups, and has a few other problems too.

ATI 10 had a problem restoring to a a few different setup but ATI 11 has problems even with setups that ATI 10 could handle. So, yes, ATI 11 can do those things in principle but it might or might not work on your machine.

4. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Tthanks guys for your replies!

I'm not using raid just a single sata drive for the OS (XP Pro) and the My Book 500 gig as an external back up so hopefully it should all work correct?

Thanks again,
    James

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Depending on which edition of My Book you are using it may have come with some of its own backup software.
    Be aware that this could conflict with True image. So my advice would be to uninstall the my book software or not install it in the first place.

Xpilot

6. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks Xpilot for your reply! Haven't even opened the My book yet so that will be the next thing on the to do list :)

James

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

And get a trial version of ATI and after making a backup, and making a bootCD, run the CD and attemp to validate the file-- also go through the steps for restoring up to selecting which drive to restor TO. If you can get all the way tho that point, then that version of ATI is going to be able to restore your backups.

8. oldtimercurt

oldtimercurt Registered Member

I'm using your setup with plain vanilla MyBook 500. I got version 9 from NothingButSoftware.com and it has saved my bacon with the exact scenario you hypothesized.

OTC

9. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks shieber for your reply! :)

Sea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.