Question regarding a windows 2000 partition image created with true image ;(

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chrome_sturmen, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Ok, firstly I dont think that this is a problem with the acronis software really, but as the image was made with acronis, maybe someone here can advise- this is my last step before just doing a clean install.
    It all started earlier today - I was cutting some videos from a concert dvd I have, using nero recode. For some reason, the preview window in recode doesnt work well with windows server 2003 (what I primarily use), but does in windows 2000 (what I boot into as an auxilliary). So, I went to reboot into windows 2000, which had been working well though I guess I hadnt used it in a few weeks at least- but when I started it, the windows 2000 screen came up, then the user and password box- but once I entered my password, it just booted into darkness, and after awhile, the name and password box reappears, but it just never works. Its not a boot.ini issue, because I looked at it, and it points to the right partition.

The only thing I can think of, is the following: my setup used to be like this:

c: (boot files)was partition 1 xp, on parttion 2 windows 2000 on partion 3, and windows server 2003, on partition 4

a couple months back, I decided I didnt need xp, because I never use it, I usually just use windows server 2003, and for fun or other issues I use windows 2000- so I deleted xp and gave the space to other partitions.

after I did that, windows 2000 quit working, but somehow I got it fixed, and so all was well, or so I thought ;(

today, when I found windows 2000 wasnt working, I tried restoring from an acronis image i'd made back in august 2005, its a good image, I know. I installed it into its same parttion, but no dice- I still get the error I described above.

I cant help but wonder if it has something to do with my removing the windows xp partition- but should a computer really be so finicky? windows server 2003 still works fine.

With one operating system working solid, i'm ok- but not having two different operating systems does tend to make me want to sweat a little- therve been many times I had a little problem with one operating system, and fixed it by booting into another and running a disk check, copying some files over, etc.

So, can anyone advise as to what might be wrong? Maybe its something simple im overlooking-or maybe not. If noone can advise, i'll just do a clean install of windows 2000, because in no way am I foolish enough to just have one operating system installed on my machine ;)

Come forth, the knowledgeable!

2. chrome_sturmen

trouble with image restore

ok, after a couple questions at this forum, no ones answered me- so this is my last shot:
    i'll make it simple as possible- i had a windows server 2003 partition image just updated a few days ago- itd been up and running for a year and a half...
    i ran into some trouble a couple days ago- and needed to restore this image- but the partition i restored to was different than the one the image was created on. anyways, after the restore, windows boots, but when i enter my name and password, it immediately logs back off- nothing i do can get me in.
    how can i get this image to restore so that it will let me in?

heres what i tried- i restored, then did a repair install of windows, thinking that would fix it- but whereas the image was windows disk E, the repair made it disk D, so then it would boot, but nothing worked, because the paths were looking for E:, but the repai install had made windows D:

i may just have to give this up and reinstall windows from scratch- kinda sad though, seeing how id just updated my image a few days ago

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Re: trouble with image restore

What version and build of TI are you using?
    Did you use the bootable CD to do the restore or from windows across a network?

Some of the things that may make TI not work right:

Multiple usb devices including hubs, keyboard, mouse
    Wireless keyboard, mouse.

4. chrome_sturmen

ive got the newest version, and i also have a wireless keyboard, but true image is working fine- i used it to restore this old xp partition im onnow- otherwise, i wouldnt be online at all, because my server 2003 isnt working, due to the path issue. man, im glad i kept this xp image around...

5. chrome_sturmen

restoring images just doesnt seem to work, unless you restore to the exact same location in the exact same state-a second partition, 15 gig image wont restore to a 1st partition, 20 gig, for example. unless its windows, i dunno. if so, who wants to build a house on a cardboard foundation?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chrome_sturmen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that such problems usually arise if the partition layout on the destination hard drive is different from that of the disk this particular image was originally taken from. We therefore recommend that you re-create the same partition layout on the destination disk as it was on the original hard drive (the sizes of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity should be the same). We also recommend that you restore your system to the partition of the same number it was originally residing on. Otherwise, you will need to make the appropriate changes to your boot.ini file. Please see these previous threads for details: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr.

If that does not help then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the server having the issue from the beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also let us know what exact version and build number of Acronis True Image you use (you can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window).

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.