Question re partitioned HDD

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

If a user has a HDD that say is 100GB and he/she decides to partition that HDD 50/50 so 50GB C and 50GB D (=100GB) does this mean he/she must have or use seperate AV and FW software on each partition or will the one AV and FW software to the job for both partitions.

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You only need to install it on 1 partition.

3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Ok, so this being the C primary partition ?

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

That's up to you really.
    But if you later on need to format the partition, it's better to reinstall all the apps in C: instead of having them laying around on the other partition.

What I do is install everything on C:, and put other stuff that I need to save on the other partition. That way I don't need to burn it on a CD/DVD if I have to format later on.

Of course I only do this with files that I care little about. If the harddrive should burn up or something, I have the important stuff on keys and CD's :)

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Albinoni,

If you're going to partition C, the way the partitions should be set up is not 50/50, you don't need 50 gigs for the OS - 12 or 15 should be more than enough.

The user data should be on the non OS partition. Makes it much easier to re-format or create drive images of the OS.

Regards - Charles

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I agree 50/50 split on a large hard drive might be excessive...but only 12-15 gigs IMO "could" be too small these days. The size of C cannot really be answered properly unless we know the intended use of this computer. For the average user, C in the "teens" would probably suffice. But for some people these days, say some kid who is into gaming...many of todays games now install using 4x CDs and each game can take up over 4 gigs of program files alone. Install a couple of those games, a few other applications like MS Office full installs...and BAM..not much room on that %system% drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.