Question re AntiVir PE

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I've decided to uninstall Avast Home 4.7 and try out AntiVir as I've heard so manygood comments about this AV software. well first off I will admit that I like the interface or GUI nice and simple :D not sure how does its detection compare to free Avast 4.7 ? Also does AntiVir PE update automatically and if so how often a day ? Also are there any good customised settings for Avira AntiVir PE Classic ?

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Auto Update is found in the Scheduler tab.
    Customised settings?
    You can customise the settings for the guard and the scanner.They are similar.You have to enable "Expert Mode".
    In configuration there are tabs for Scanner,Guard,and General Threats.
    I have Win32 heuristics enabled.Medium detections level for heuristics.
    I always set the "Interactive"(ask) in "Action for concerning files".
    That way I can decide what to do if something is detected.

3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Thanks for your help. What I'm concerned about is that my AntiVir is set to update every 24hrs (Daily Update). Preferably I would like it to update every 1 to 2 hrs, but not sure if it can do this.

4. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

You can set multiple daily updates at different times. Avira usually releases several updates each day from Monday to Friday, one update on saturday and another on sunday, but the number of updates may be lower for you because it's night in Australia when it's day in Germany. See http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/vdfhistory/index.html

If you don't like the Notifier you can block it depending on your OS: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130419

My Update Settings:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

On dial up even with default settings it will update each time u connect to internet.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

And on LAN or WLAN?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not at all familiar with networking. Never used a networked PC.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK ;)

9. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

On a LAN or WiFi, you would need to create as many "New jobs" as you would need, as ggf31416 screenshot shows.

Just uncheck the 'default jobs' do not edit or delete them.

Remember that AVIRA puts out Updates during aproximately 06-19 hours GMT time period.

www.avira.com/en/vdfhistory/indexl

10. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

There's a very easy way of getting updates at regular intervals with AVIRA without creating several jobs.........

1. Create a new job and give it a name - click next.
    2. Choose Update.job - Click next
    3. From the drop down list choose `Interval' and click on the days or hours or minutes and enter an update interval. I have chosen 3 hours - click on the lower two selection boxes as you wish - click next
    4. I chose "Invisible" from the drop down menu but you might want minimized - click Finish

That's it

You can delete the original 24 hour update job if you wish

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The minimum interval u can fix is 24 hour. U can,t fix 3 hours, that,s why u need more than one update jobs.

12. buckshee

That's not true, You can do 3 hour intervals the way I suggested. I get update attempts every three hours. It says minimum 15 minutes when you look under `Interval'
    In fact if you read section 5.1 of the manual which can be downloaded from Avira they recommend 6 hour intervals. I think the 24 hour that comes with the software is the minimum time you would want to go between updates and in consideration of those on dial-up

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, can u post a screen shot of 3 hour interval accepted by update job.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the free version can only do updates maximum of 24hours. the payed premium version can update every 15minutes on one job.
    lodore

15. buckshee

Here's a screenshot of Antivir Personal Premium set up for 3 hour updates. To be honest I didn't know the `Classic' only updated every 24 hours minimum. I've been using the paid version for a long time - It appears this is one of the differences

Attached Files:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry I forgot that u are talking of Premium version, I use Classic version, so I am only aware about the classical one.

17. nameless

nameless Registered Member

With AntiVir PE Premium, you can run preupd.exe to perform a manual update, or an automated update, via the Windows Task Scheduler. I'm not sure if this also applies to Classic, but I'd suspect it does...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.