Question on security setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cubanresourceful, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubanresourceful

cubanresourceful Registered Member

I hope this is the right forum, since I didn't find a general forum for security questions.

So, here is what I am planning: 2yr Prevx + 1yr NIS2010 (Which would be around ~100$)

Or I was thinking maybe something like: 2yr Prevx + 1yr NAV2010 + 2yr Online Armor (around ~95$)

Which would you recommend? Thank you!

(If you're wondering why I am using Norton, I am a Norton guy, especially now that their products have improved considerably.)

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I would recommend the 2yr Prevx, 1 year NAV, and 2 year Online Armor

3. cubanresourceful

Would you mind giving me a reason as to why that would be a better choice?

EDIT: I was reading over the Online Armor website, and it seems as if it's only a 32bit program. That will not work with my PC unfortunately.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will say prevx and norton only as you will have to spend more money and by adding online armor you have to be aware of future conflicts:) my 2 pesos:D

5. icr

icr Registered Member

If you don't like to answer any pop-ups because OA will give pop-ups for most of the applications that are not trusted(may or may not be malicious):)

I also know many here believe on multi-layered applications as it provides more better protection like the second option but Norton and OA is some new flavor I have not seen anyone using this combo(sorry if anyone is using). But I give my suggestion to the 1st option. You will be very much protected with the two combo. Norton doing good these days in the tests and PrevX also really good in removing unknown malware:)

6. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I would go the Prevx/Nis route. All the components of NIS are tested and built to work togeather so there should be no conflicts. Prevx would be an added attraction.

7. cubanresourceful

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I figured. It's a shame OA is 32bit only for now, testing it on my XP rig just to see what everything is about. And I also like the multilayer approach, that way if something passes my main defenses, it's in for a little surprise. :)

EDIT: Thanks guys, you are just reinforcing what I believed, but since you guys know security more than I do, I decided to shoot anyways. The only reason I am considering Prevx is because it's relatively cheap, and provides me with additional malware protection from the cloud. (From what I have read anyways.)

8. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Of those two I would recommend NIS + Prevx based on the fact that NIS as a security suite is very strong and it wouldnt be as much trouble setting up and configuring everything. However I'm also a huge Online Armor fan and will recommend it to anyone. So both choices are great ones but the NIS and Prvx would be the easier configurationto setup and manage, and that is an awesome combination. But just so you know Online Armor ++ is 50% off next friday, I don't know if that will change your mind but I'd want to know if I were buying.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

even just online armor++ is more than enough if proper configure;) if i dont have defensewall or sandboxie i will go with tallemu;)

11. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

ive never even tested the AV part. matter of fact ive never used the paid version because the free version offers awesome protection.

12. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Any particular reason why you are considering only these apps? I don't know about you but $100 on security is alot of money to me. :)

13. icr

icr Registered Member

Might be that he is actually a Norton guy(he mentioned) and will be buying norton;)

14. icr

icr Registered Member

OA++ is not a traditional AV it only scans on execution and has no resident scanner.:)

Bit of info

15. cubanresourceful

Yes, I am a Norton guy. I actually have NIS 2010 Trial installed, and I love it. It may sound weird, but I really do.

I am also a power user. Weird huh? I have used a plethora of anti-virus and IS software, and I still like Norton. It may be because I used Norton in 2001 on my first PC, (making me like what, 9-10 years old), but now, with this new improved version, I am liking it how I used to like it back then.

I have tried Avast! 4.8 and 5.0 Beta, Norton 360 v3 and v4 Beta, Comodo Firewall and IS, Comodo Boclean, AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, and Eset IS v3, v4, and v4.2 Beta. So, please, I am not ignorant of other products. I just believe that if I am willing to pay for products, then I want to go with a product I like, and that will be Norton.

A product a recently tried and liked was Prevx. What really won me over was not the interface or in-the-cloud protection/malware behavior analysis (for that I could of gone with the free panda cloud), but the fact that the installer is less than 1MB, and the installed product is one EXE, under 5MBs, with a couple of registry entries. Plus it's cheap.

One last thing about Norton before I go. I am planning on trying to save money on it buy getting education discount since I am in college. See, I am not that dense. :D

Feel free to continue replying though, I love reading users input and opinions. :)

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Go for the PrevX + NAV + OA (Since you want Norton :D)

OA would be a really nice add on to the combination, since it's a very good HIPS :ninja:
    And actually, OA doesn't really have that much pop ups if you configure it :thumb: :p

17. Jav

Jav Guest

Actually I understand you liking NIS. (I like it too, atleast version 2010 and using it) :)

I think NIS 2010's Firewall and Internet protection is good enough to protect you without need for OA.
    So My vote will go to the first option:

NIS 2010 + PrevX

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

icr i know that it even protect more than any traditional antivirus and the browser can be set to run safer;) and plus you can also configure to denny write acces to the hard drive plus the powerfull firewall and he adds prevx who needs an antivirus with an arsenal like this one:D

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Interesting thread.
    How would I set up NIS 2010 so that there would be no slowdown after installing Prevx?
    And is it even worth installing Prevx since I already have Sandboxie paid on my pc alongside NIS 2010?
    Thanks.

20. cubanresourceful

Here's what I did, absolutely no slowdowns. Install Norton Internet Security 2010, then install Prevx. That simple. Both run on my system just fine, no slowdowns, quick scans, etc. Also, Prevx will verify all the modules of Norton, so I am assuming if a virus ever wants to harm Norton by disabling it or corrupting the files, Prevx will probably get in the way of that happening. :D

21. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

:blink:

:mad:

:D

:argh:

I also would choose option 1, the NIS + PrevX combo.
    NIS has a pretty solid firewall.

22. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Why would you pay for a security suite that includes a good firewall, then add Online Armor ?

Sounds like a real conflict to me.

If you are sold on NIS 2010, get it.
    For on-demand, add Malwarebytes or perhaps A-Squared free which has dual scanners and great detection.

23. icr

icr Registered Member

Does NAV conflict with OA I think no I just said it is new combo hardly few of them use it(nomarjr3 for example:) )

24. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

No conflicts here. Maybe with NIS firewall.. but since NAV has no firewall module, they work well together on my PC.

25. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

OA's firewall can be uninstalled right from the GUI, making it only a HIPS if u want (which is what i did).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.