Question on Restoring files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmckeown, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmckeown

jmckeown Registered Member

I am totally new to this . I backed up my hard drive during the trial seesion and now I have purchased the software. I was tring to restore a file from the backup but the NEXT button will not highlight. I am not using a password and it does not ask for one. Can I do this....cause I hope so. Please straighten me out on this.

2. jmckeown

Ok no answers.. try this... Can I recover files from my complete back-up. If so..how?. I went to "Pick a TasK'/ Recovery/ Clicked on the file needed but the NEXT button would not highlight. Need some direction here!!!!!

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If you did a disk or partition B/U, mount/plug/explore (whatever it’s called now) the image and get your file.
    If it was a File/Folder backup, I don’t know – never used it.

4. jmckeown

I did a full backup. Now I want to recover a certain file. How do I do this.

5. TheWeaz

I just told you, plug the image.

6. DavidNW

DavidNW Registered Member

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying out Acronis True Image 8.0 on a 15 day trial option. I created an archive image file of my entire Hard Drive (including XP Home Edition).

Upon restoration; will XP ask me to type in my COA key, and if I do that, should I reasonably expect to fully restore everything into working order in the event of a PC crash? I'm completely new to PC restoration - so, apologies if that sounds a dumb question.

I have verified the contents of my backup image files, that I have placed on a RW DVD, and it has passed the check test.

The thing that puzzles me, however, is that 2 image archive files have been created - Backup1 & Backup 2 - can't figure out why this should be, as I only created one file - the archive for the entire Hard drive!

I have wanted to try a restore, just to see if everything works - but feel a little afraid of screwing my OS up, as its running superbly at the moment.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave.

7. TheWeaz

"I'm trying out Acronis True Image 8.0 on a 15 day trial option"

Isn't 8.0 obsolete?

8. jmckeown

Sorry about that , been at it all day. Ok I pluged the image and found the file in explore and clicked on it but the NEXT button will not highlight

9. TheWeaz

Well, I’m afraid you’ve lost me now.
    When I plug an image it gets assigned a drive letter and I view it through Windows Explorer just like any real drive. There is no NEXT button.
    I think you may have to list, in detail, all the steps you are taking to try and get this file back.

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

When you plug an image you have to select a True Image archive file (.tib) by clicking on it. Then the Next button will become active. Are you sure you selected an archive file. It works OK for me. Then the image will be mounted and you are using windows explorer from then on out. It should look like this.

Attached Files:

11. jmckeown

Ok here is my step by step

1)Bring up the Acronis True Image Widow
    2) Click on Plug Image
    3) Up comes "Plug Image Wizard" and I click next
    4)The (Plug Image wizard) "Backup Achive Exploring" window come up.In this window on the left I get an "explore" window and on the right window I have the name of the file. Below the file name it shows the amount of free space and total space. Thats all thats in the window. What ever file I click on in explore , the name comes up on the right side window near the top left. It was here I thought I needed the "NEXT" button.

12. jmckeown

OK I see the problem now...in the archive file there are no (tib.) after the file names. wht would that be?

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

It sounds like you didn't navigate to the folder where your backup archive file is stored. I suggest you exit True Image and use windows search to find *.tib files.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jmckeown,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to restore individual files and folders from a disk\partition image in two different ways:

1.) Do as TheWeaz has suggested, i.e. mount an image archive as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Plug Image tool and copy the necessary files and folders from the mounted image archive using Windows Explorer or any other file browser just as if it was a "real" drive.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to mount an image archive as a virtual drive by means of the Plug Image tool in Chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

2.) Restore individual files and folders from a disk\partition image using the corresponding option in Recovery wizard which is available via the main program window. Please see Chapter 5 of the above mentioned User's Guide for details.

If you still unable to restore individual files and folders from a disk\partition image then please make screen shots of your consequent steps taken during the attempt to perform the individual files and folders restoration process. Please also let us know what exact version and build number of Acronis True Image 9.0 you use. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the screen shots created to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DavidNW,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 8.0 is an outdated Acronis True Image version and therefore is not being distributed any more.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 FAQ page helpful.

If you are satisfied with the work of the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Windows XP will not ask you for the re-activation, since the data on your hard drive will be restored to the exactly same state it had at the moment when the image was created. The point is that when creating a disk\partition image Acronis True Image program uses a special method of "snapshot" image creation, it doesn't store the standalone files or directories, but saves blocks of hard drive data, saving the information about disk/partition geometry. We recommend you to read this article to learn more on how Acronis True Imahe creates a disk\partition image. Please see the above mentioned User's Guide for more information on how to use the software.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article. The ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds\versions of a particular product, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

As far as I can understand you used the so-called "two-step" (see the above mentioned FAQ article) method of saving the image to DVD. In other words, you initially created an image saving it to the hard drive and only after that copied the beforehand created image archive to DVD using some third party DVD writing software.

If that's the case then the hard drive you initially saved your image archive to is probably FAT32-formatted and therefore can not hold files larger than 4 GB (FAT32 limitation). In this case, images are being automatically splitted into 4 GB parts.

If my assumption is not correct then please describe the way you have created an image in more detail.

If you are unsure of whether you will be able to restore an image then please follow these instructions posted earlier by Menorcaman. You may also find this previous thread interesting.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello jmckeown,

Did you create the image to a fixed hard drive or to removable media (e.g. DVD)?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.