question from new user

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by George Anderson, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Anderson

George Anderson Registered Member

I am being helped on another thread to get me working but I have some questions about useage.
    When scheduling backups it asks for a user name and password. Where do I find them? On my wifes computer, which I put TI on, is asking for user name and password when I try to schedule a backup. She has never set up a name or password so it must be a system thing,. Where can I find them.

When the storage area is full of scheduled backups what happens? Can it be set to overwrite the old ones?

You can backup email separately. But if I do a full Disk restore will that restore the email also?

andy32901

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I always leave the user name and password blank. It has never given any problems.

A full disk backup takes care of everything. It is the only kind of backup I do as I like to keep things simple.

Xpilot

3. George Anderson

Xpilot,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to schedule without name or password but it won't let me. It say it is required. I use the default that is already filled in but it says it is the wrong password. I say ok and by pass it but it does not run.

How can I find out what the system password is?

andy32901

4. Volatile

Volatile Registered Member

You can right click on My Computer and go to Manage. In computer management you will see Users and Groups, then select Users. You will have default set user accounts (ie Administrator, Guest). You could either be logging on as Administrator or another specified user within this list.

I run full backups and then setup 3 seperate tasks to overwrite in a pattern.

Mon and Thurs - 1 backup

Tues and Fri - 1 backup

Wed and Sat - 1 backup

leaving me with 3 total backups all the time as Thursday will overwrite Monday's backup as the schedule polls around.

5. George Anderson

I have a problem with getting the schedule to run. I leave the default password, which is already filled in with dots. TI says it is invalid but I continue anyway. I does not run, like it says at the bottom of the screen. OK. I can understand that.

But what is the password? Neither my wife or I have ever used passwords. So how do I know what it is asking for. It is not in the users or groups accounts. Here is a picture. JEAN\HP_Owner is not in the users accounts so what can I do? I don't want my wife to have to log in each time she wants to use her computer. I will never hear the end of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The password that it is asking for is the one used by XP when you logon to your computer.

Go to Control Panel/User Accounts
    Click on your user icon
    Click on change password.
    Do you have a hint listed that will give you a clue?
    Or, is there a chance you created a password floppy disk when you got the computer?

As for password, could you computer supplier have provided one such as "admin" or the same password you use in Outlook Express or your isp, etc.

7. George Anderson

We have never used passwords or created one at all.

Anyway, I set up a scheduled run again without a password and it seems to have worked this time. I will try it one more time and let you know.

I read and found out about Backup Locations. It lets me set up the number of backups to save and the max size, Just what I wanted to do.

andy32901

8. George Anderson

The scheduled backups run ok. I have found out that when it runs it overwrites the old backup.

I have it set to do full backups each time. How do I set it to leave each full backup in in the backup location. I have it set to keep 5 files but it is overwriting the file each time it runs and only leaves one file.

I just read in the user guide about automatic renaming of backup files when using backup locations. Where is that done, it didn't say?

andy32901

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  9. George Anderson

I think I have found my answer on auto rename.

I searched again and found a thread that explained that if you schedule a backup to a backup location you should select the Backup Location from the drives tree not the actual drive itself. If you do that it will say "no file name needed"

I should have searched harder before.

andy32901

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.