Question-forgot something

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kathyhl, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Thanks Tas, I will most definitely keep you and Nick informed. Yesterday I wrote to Incredimail with my problem with their client receiving no animations, because to be perfectly honest, after doing as much as I did yesterday, and seeing all that I saw, I really don't think the tweakui program had anything to do with my Incredimai problem. I received a reply this morning from them asking me to send them some things, which I did, so if they can help me get that sorted out, then I'm back to my original extension problem, which you have to know I am going to fix, one way or the other ;)

Again, thanks to you both for all your help :)

Kathy

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I found what I think are the default Windows 98 ico/icofile registry associations here: Restore the ability to display .ico files. Restoring these involves working with the registry. If you want to try it, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, press Enter.

2. Click to highlight HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, go to File/Export, and save the key to your Desktop as HKCR.reg. This is your backup. It will undo any changes that you make.

3. Open notepad, copy and paste the following, and save the document to your Desktop as iconfix.reg (should look like the picture below):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico]
    @="icofile"
    "Content Type"="image/x-icon"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile]
    @="Icon"
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,01,00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

3. Back in regedit, expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, scroll down, find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico and right-click on it to delete it. Do the same with HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile.

4. Now double-click the iconfix.reg file on your Desktop, click Yes to merge it into the registry. Back in regedit, click View/Refresh and you should see the new keys. Close regedit and reboot.

5. As long as you have removed the .ico association in PSP, this should work. I tested it on a Windows 98 system here at work that had Irfanview associated with the ico extension.

If you have any questions before you try it, ask away.

Nick

Attached Files:

3. Kathyhl

Nick, I have Irfanview! I just went in there and was able to see all my icons in there. Before I attempt the registry, do you think there is something I can do via Irfanview? (keeping fingers crossed here)
    I was just shutting down my pc to go to the store and get some other things done when your e-mail came in, so I am going to try to get on here when I get back as soon as I can.

Thanks so much for your response.

Kathy

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Might be worth trying. Go to Options/Set file associations, click Images only, and click OK. Hopefully, it will undo what PSP has done.

Nick

Attached Files:

5. Kathyhl

NICK YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I would have never thought to do that, never even thought about trying anything in Irfanview, even though it's an icon program. I can't begin to tell you how much help both you and Tas have been. It's so great to know this site is here with people like you guys.

Again, thanks so much! :D

Kathy

6. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

o_O Maybe this will help, if all that other fails.
    I'll try to get a capture if this doesn't sound right.
    In Windows Explore: Tools: Folder Options: File Types: scroll down till you find PowerPoint and you should find the extensions down there where you can manually associate them with Progs.
    :rolleyes: Be careful!!

Never Mind! Great Job! I may have to get that program. :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  7. Kathyhl

Thank you for responding Valkyr001, yes, with the great help in here I have finally gotten it taken care of. Also, the icons to the left of my pictures are all showing the Irfanview icon and not the PSP icon anymore, but it is certainly not hendering anything in PSP, as I just went in there and am still able to open all my pics. And yes, the Irfanview program really is a very good program.

Wilders is certainly number one in my list. I've been telling everyone I know about this place ;)

Kathy :)

8. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D You can never go wrong recommending this site!!! :D

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

[MOVE]Excellent work Nick.[/MOVE]

Kathy... wooooooohooooooooooo :D :D :D

I bet you are a happy camper.
    Glad it got sorted!!!

Cheers, TAS

10. Kathyhl

Yes Tas! I couldn't have done it without you two wonderful guys!!!!!!!

[MOVE]THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!![/MOVE]

(gosh I hope that is red and moves!)

Kathy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.