Question-forgot something

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kathyhl, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question because it's one of the most basic, but for some reason I am drawing a complete blank - sorry :(

For some reason all my .ico extensions have changed to my .PSP extensions, and now I cannot see them or even open them in PSP. Can someone remind me how to change them back so I can see them?

Thank you so much for your time,

Kathy

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Kathy

Go to Explorer Folder Options (Usually under View or Tools) then File Types and scroll down to ico and change your opening programme. :)

3. Kathyhl

Thank you for your response Q-Section, and that is exactly what I had previously tried to do, but did not see an .ico, so went down to PSP, and it shows ico as one of psp's extensions. I was thinking about removing it from that application, but have never removed anything before, just added.
    Do you think it would be ok to say remove without any reprocussions?

Thanks Q
    ;)

4. Kathyhl

Because I don't have an .ico extension in my file types, I cannot assign it to my icons. My PSP is using my .ico ext. I tried to remove it, but even after re-booting, nothing has changed except now I no longer even have the option to "open" when I check my PSP in file types. ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Kathy

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

6. Kathyhl

Oh thank you so much for replying Nick, and I'm sorry for not saying, but I'm running Win98, not XP. So I'm assuming I did something wrong, but not able to tell you what, which is a shame because then I would know not to do it next time :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your help.

Kathy

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Download TweakUI from here: Tweak UI 1.33. Once installed, run Rebuild Icons on the Repair tab. Under Windows 98, I think the shortcut is in Control Panel. Hope it helps.

Nick

8. Kathyhl

Hi Nick, that's so much for your help. I went to the web page you provided and it seems to enfer quite a bit of pc knowledge, and now being as I have also deleted the "open" under actions under psp in file types, and can now no longer even open an image, I'm not so sure I should be doing anything else until I can fix that. I would hate to continue making mistake on top of mistake, so right now I need to know how to put the word "open" back into the file types :oops:

Thank you for your time....

Kathy

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Kathyhl

Go to your Folder Options/File Types, and try this for just ONE image [say jpeg] first. See if it works.

click on the extension [jpeg]
    click Advanced
    seeing as you said you deleted 'open' click New
    Type in 'open' as the 'Action'
    And in 'Application Used to perform action' click browse, and surf to the program you want to associate with it.

OK all on way out... if this works, do it with each image format you want and whatever program you want to use.

TAS

edit: Yes, try the repair function in Tweak first as nick suggests....
    edit again: although, that won't put the 'open' back in for your images if you deleted that particular 'Action'. It rebuilds/repairs Icons which should solve your first problem with ico you said.

Attached Files:

11. Kathyhl

Thanks so much TAS. I have Win98, and it appears the appearance of the file types are a bit different than yours. I don't have a couple of the options you do, but have to get to the same end using another means. I'm going to try attaching a picture, but didn't have luck the last time I tried.
    http://filetypediff.jpg . But at any rate, I found a way to go in and write "open", I just noticed the characters around the word print, and typed "open", and put the same chracters around that word, and to my astonishment, it worked :eek:

So now I will go ahead with the tweak program as you and Nick have suggested. Again, thank you both very much.

Kathy

12. Tassie_Devils

Glad you got something to work mate.

I've never used any of the 98 programs myself, so could not comment on how their file associations are set up.

something like %open% I suppose.... anyhow, glad you figured it out.

And Tweak, as suggested by Nick ;), is a great program, use it to tweak your menus, etc. see your system really work faster, also Mouse Activation, I love that one. Have a good look around with it. :D

Cheers, TAS

edit: attach pics...

do not use img tags mate.. just go to bottom of your reply window, click Manage Attachments, a new window will pop up, then browse to where you have the image on your pc [desktop is usually the best place to put them temporarily], click Upload and when done, close window and then Submit your post...

Attached Files:

13. Kathyhl

This website on LeeTutor's is totally awesome! And it may just be the thing I need to now be able to see my .ico pictures. Thanks to both Nick and Tas for all your help. You two have been great ;)

ps. Tas, I don't know if you get this very much, and if I'm out of line, my apologies, but have you ever been to Steve Irwins majestic place?

Thanks again :) And thanks for the help on uploading images.

Kathy

14. Tassie_Devils

Steve Irwin... huho_O?

oh.. you mean Croc Hunter Steve... that would have to be a no at this stage.

I have seen his place on TV, they did a special doco on it one night, and it's massive and awesome. :)

Although I have been to a few croc parks, seen some crazy guys. One in particular called the Barefoot Bushman, Rob Bredal [spell].

Now I suppose I better make this post on 'topic' lol.... ;)

How did the rest of the image associations work out kathy, all fine now.

Cheers, TAS

15. Kathyhl

Hi Tas lol, I guess I shouldn't have asked about Steve Irwin :rolleyes: .. Ok enough of that. Ok, well I have to say DARN here now, because I downloaded the tweakui, put it in my win/temp files, where it told me to put it, then went to check my control panel and nothing o_O .I had done a re-boot also. So I decided to d/l it again and see if there was anything else I could do. Well there was, and it told me to put in the disc so it could install the program in my control panel.......unfortunately, I don't have the disc they are talking about :( . I wonder if maybe I need to turn off this puppy and just start fresh tomorrow morning. Sounds like a good idea to me. Not that I'm going to get much sleep, I know me, and I'm going to be thinking of a dozen ways I could try this, but then again, with no disc, I doubt any of it would work :doubt: .

Oh well tomorrow's another day, so I will try and get some shut eye, and start the minute I get up :) Thanks Tas and Nick, I hope you both will be close to the pc tomorrow! :D

Kathy

16. Tassie_Devils

Kathy......

yes, it is a strange setup... it will install fine, but you have to find the executable then. It puts it in a strange place... [on XP it's in System32 folder]

All you have to do is download it [desktop is fine, don't worry] and then double click to install, it will come up with a message saying something about it cannot install here, etc. or should install to somewhere or other, just OK that, but it still INSTALLS properly. No need for a disc, etc. at all.

To then find the program, [if you did not take note of the path] go to Start/Search [or whatever you have on 98] and search for tweakui [edit: or better, just tweakui.exe] to find the actual file.

You will find all the versions you downloaded and the actual file where it's installed into.

Look for the path and go to it, then right click on file, and create a shortcut to desktop to get at it easy in the future.

IF, for some reason you cannot find it, go to your Add/Remove o_O in 98.. find the entry and uninstall... then get the downloaded installer you did and reinstall, but this time take note of the path it wants to install to.

That's why I *always* download any file to my desktop.. never into a temp, folder, etc. as it's very easy to find the original.. once finished I usually move the file to a special folder I have so if I ever need to install again, I have original. Especially when on dialup. ;)

I will post couple follow up screenies of tweak to show you.

TAS

Attached Files:

17. Tassie_Devils

screenshot... this is one I love.. speeds up your menu drop down lists to instant... [as long as you don't use any 'Fade' / 'Scroll' effects which I don't know is available in 98 or not]

Set to Fast... menus will drop down [or fly out to side] in an instant....

Attached Files:

18. Tassie_Devils

one more... mouse raise activation...

with more than one window open, you can set it so only a 'mouseover' will Autoraise the out of focus behind window to the front... no need to click, just move mouse to window you want to see/use, it comes to the front and is the 'active' window.

Now, this is Tweak for XP I am using, so don't know what's availabe for 98 in options.. ok!

Hint.. please don't set the delay to zero.. LOL, you will never be quick enough to get to some windows then.. I have mine at 500ms.. that's still pretty quick.. but play with the settings to suit you.

TAS

Attached Files:

19. Kathyhl

Hi TAS, I'm at it again. I did find the problem with the Tweakui and why it kept asking me for a disc. And I quote from the page I found this on, "Note: there's a bug in this installer (it's been there since the very first release, except for the new version for Windows XP). If it prompts you to insert a disk or specify the location of the Tweakui files, just point to the folder containing the files you just unzipped, and click Ok." So I did finally get that taken care of, however, it did not solve my problem. In my "open with" folder, there is still no icon for .ico, it says my PSP is using that extension, however, I have taken it out of the extension list in PSP, so it doesn't show up as one being checked with the PSP progam, but for some reason, the pc is not letting it go. When I tried typing a new extension, it says "Paint Shop Pro" is using that extension, which I know it's not, but apparently something is not letting it go. I did do a repair on all file extensions, putting them back to factory, with the Tweakui, then re-booted, but all remains the same.
    :(

This is going to drive me crazy until I can do something about it, but right now I really need to do some very neglected housework :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Kathy

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

21. Kathyhl

Thanks so much for that site Nick. I don't want to uninstall PSP, but I did already go in to the file preferences and delete the .ico extension from psp, unfortunately the pc is still not letting it go, and is saying that PSP is using the .ico, so I can't re-assign it to anything else :doubt: .

Kathy

22. nick s

nick s Registered Member

That is what I would try next. Microsoft refers to the issue here: Err Msg: The Extension '.<ext>' Is Already In Use By File Type '<Name>'. Removing it should only affect PSP. You can always add it back.

Nick

23. Tassie_Devils

Hi Kathy...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    edit: DOH.. nevermind... I saw you already tried taking .ico away... did you reboot though

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The second link Nick gave virtually says the same in re-associating the file types with the program you want as the first one, which is one way of doing file association.

However, I feel the first link Nick gave from PSP Knowledge Base is the way to go.

Do an uninstall of PSP [save any pics, etc. into another folder, generally the program will unintall, but the folder will remain with any jobs in there, but copy/move them anyway]

Re-Associate the file types via those methods outlined by Nick's links or by going to Folder Options/File Types, finding each file type, highlighing and select the Default Button [if those are available to you in Win98].

Then reinstall PSP, but, this time take note of the install instructions regarding file associations. You **should** get a window during install.
    So make sure you only associate certain files you WANT to open with PSP.

I had the same problem with Photoshop 4.5 around 2 years back, I just merrily checked ALL boxes during install and was cranky then it took ages to open just view a jpg or tif when I only wanted at that time bmps associated with it.

Solution.... I did as I just outlined to you.

So follow the first link Nick gave ;) and it should work. Bit of a pain uninstalling, but it should release it then.

Make sure you reboot after uninstalling PSP, before you try to re-associate file types.
    Actually, if lucky, once PSP is gone, and rebooted, it may even go back to default then. [Nah, never happens like that hey mate :)]

Cheers, TAS

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  24. Kathyhl

Thanks so much Nick and Tas, I did try exactly what that web site said, but when it asks what extension I want to be associated with that file, the extension is not in there any longer. I've been trying things all day, and other than learning a little bit more about code, I've also now managed to stop all animations coming into my e-mail client (Incredimail). I was finally able to use the tweakui program, and I asked it to put back all file extensions to factory, so I think that might be where the Incredimail problem came from, but I do love that program, it looks to have some great potential. I did think I might come across things I may have to change again, but unfortunately I can't find where to have the animations turned on again. I've already gone into my browser and ZA to make sure all animations are allowed, and they are, so unless something great happens, I think I might be looking at uninstalling and re-installing both PSP and Incredimail :'( . I'm not going to do it for a little while yet, I'm going to try and cover all bases before I have to. Both of those programs are quite large.

Again, thank you both for all your help.

Kathy

PS. Tas, yes I did re-boot, I think I re-booted more times in the last 2 days than I have in the last two weeks! lol

25. Tassie_Devils

ok Kathy, I understand about uninstalling/reinstalling reluctance.

But do keep us informed mate. I [and I am sure Nick also] would like to see how it turned out.

One thing, as you said, I bet you've learnt more about your system over last few days then since you've had it, lol.

Cheers, TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.