Question for xp users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bizcax, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bizcax

Bizcax Registered Member

I don't know how this happened unless someone else using my computer did this, but everytime I boot up my computer a log on screen comes on and I have to click my name that has a little frog icon beside it to finish up rebooting my computer, how do I turn this off? when I boot up my compter I don't want to have to put in any names or passwords.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

goto the configuration pannel, and choose users account (the small icon with two people).

There, you should see an option to 'modify how the users has to log on', I think it's there you can disable the welcome screen.
    May be there is another option there to tell XP that you whish you log on automatically on your default account.

regards,

gkweb.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Go to control panel, user accounts, and see what accounts are active. Do you see a frog?

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Follow the directions described here. That should do it.

Blue

5. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

I am a new member who just joined this forum yesterday. I'm no expert and want learn & assist if I can. I'm not trying to be critical but was very surprised that no one expressed concern about the lack of password protection on gkweb's PC. Isn't this forum sponsored by a security organization?

The advice was exactly what the user wanted to know but some comment regarding the importance of password protection is warranted. The frog image is easily changed in the user account section of the control panel & a password reset disk can be made in less than a minute. Someone else has obviously been using the machine & could easily setup a password unknown by the owner. That's a somewhat minor point since the password can also be removed via the password jumper plug inside the machine (a very involved process according to my owner's manual). Modifing the user profile by including a password rather than removing it would probably prevent this mystery user from future access and a password reset disk (physically secured) would provide security against a forgotten password.

I hope bizcax will reconsider - passwords are worth the hassle. The next unauthorized user might create a far greater & potentially expensive problem. I would also recommend security scans - there might be other modifications that are less noticeable and far more malicious.

Slim

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Unfortunately, this forum is full of good people who don't take advantage of the
    basic security precautions available in XP. Most people couldn't tell you what a firewall is and what it does.

Until a problem hits their system, most people will continue to do so I'm afraid.

7. slim30097

When I left the coporate world two years ago to start my own accounting business, I purchased my first desktop PC & did not install any security software for two to three months. Fortunately I made the decision to maintain my clients' books & tax returns offline. The only security software on my PC was a trial version of McAfee VirusScan pre-installed by Dell.

After a couple of months of increasingly wierd PC behavior, I wised up & got help. I downloaded Spybot (recommended by my nephew) & located about 35 pieces of spyware. I have an ad-aware log file on a floppy from a scan on a client's machine which identifies 378 objects. The client had performed a complete XP reinstall less than three months prior to the scan & was connected 24/7 without a firewall! "Yea though I walk through the valley of death".

The web has some very dark alleys & users need to be cautious. Hell, the very first thread I reviewed on this forum (page 1, thread 1) contained an impressive amount of good advice on security & backups. The information is available to those who wish to learn & forums like Wilders' have some impressive educators. I am very grateful to the individuals who freely give such valuable tech support. Some of the user "monikers" take getting used to (showing my age) but the advice is first rate.

Safe computing to all,

Slim

8. slim30097

gkweb,

I just noticed that I erroneously identified you as the author of the original post. My face is red as a beet. I am so sorry & terribly embarressed at making such a dumb mistake. Please accept my humble apology - no insult was intended. I plan to make myself a dunce cap out of newspaper but had to beg forgiveness first. ROOKIE MISTAKE! Dumbest member will be my reputation from now on. What a wonderful beginning!

Your humble servant,

Slim

Mistake in my original post now corrected.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Slim:...

Welcome to forum from me. :D

Don't feel bad, but you know you can Edit that post. [Only you or a Mod can].

Look for the 'Edit' button on bottom right of the post, click, your post will come back, then simply delete all of it and maybe just leave a line saying, "See below, my mistake" or something...

That way, that post will not be there, LOL, as I was reading it thru and realised your mistake and was going to reply, but saw you did.

Cheers, TAS

EDIT: Just realised my 600th post ;)

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just browsed over this post is the log on not related to downloading the .NET framework? If Bizcax has downloaded .Net this is the way you need to access the rest of the boot by clicking on your name with the little picture beside it. Apologies if this is not the case but just thought I would mention it.

11. slim30097

Thanks Tassie,

I considered editing when I first noticed my mistake but felt it would be unfair if gkweb had read the unedited report & noticed my mistake. Love this forum - have some downtime & wanted to focus on my continuing education. BTW, your sticky thread on test/tutorials, etc. was excellent. I had several of them already bookmarked but always looking for more. The IT knowledge base contained in the internet is amazing.

Take care,

Slim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.