Question for those using KIS 6.x

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by joeunc, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

I have recently moved to Vista and moved from just KAV in XP to the latest KIS in Vista since there are not many firewalls Vista ready yet.

(FYI-I have notice that the mem usage is much lower when running KIS as opposed to runnning KAV and PC Tools Firwall together.)

I am behind my NAT router and the logs on the incoming side of the router are clean.

A question about Anti Hacker FW. When I look at the status,,it says no threat received, no stay packets that are blocked etc.. all looks good.

But there is that other section on stats that shows open ports, network connections and traffic.

And I always see lot sof stuff in these three fields,,especially the traffic field. What do these stats represent as compared to the other anti hacker "threat" stats?

It may be a simple question and I am just missing it,,but any input would be appreciated.. I will also head to the Kaspersky forums and look around as well.

thanks much
    Joe

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc, its just showing traffic being received or sent by programs.

3. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

Thanks,,so just a snapshot of the net traffic going on,,more of a monitor like situation than "these IP's/domains are running wild behind the firewall"?

thanks
    Joe

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i believe so.

5. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

I think it's like this:
    The "attacks blocked" statistics has to do with the intrusion detection system, and would only show number of attacks by known network worms etc. (like "helkern" attacks), while the network monitor shows all traffic to/from your pc.

6. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

right..In the netowrk montitor---> traffic tab I see some localhost stuff,,and some 192.168.0.0 stuff...but I also see public IP's that KIS automatically resolves to names as the window refreshes,,,things like akami.net or privatedns.com,,these are what I can remember,,I am not at the desktop right now..
    I may be paranoid,,as I have gone out and done many leaktests and shields up and get perfect score everytime...Just something different KIS does that I hadn't seen in other software firewalls I have used.

thanks
    Joe

7. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

it's just all the traffic you done since the pc booted up (all the ip's you accessed)

8. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

thanks!!,,,wish there was a way to clear/refresh it if it is indeed since "boot up".
    Would love a fresh capture when you needed,,thanks for the reply.

Joe

9. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

i saw the feature request a number of times on the kl forum, some developers also agreed that it would be a good thing to change the look of the network monitor.

10. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

yep it is really simple right now,,doesn't give tons of info and there is no clear or refresh function and has limited right click menu functions. Overall right now I am liking the suite a lot. I have always liked KAV as a Anti-Vitus And like I said the mem usaage is down from using KAV and a seperate firewall. I will have to keep tweaking some settings as it does provide lots of pop ups as you first get going if you have everything enabled.

thanks
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.