Question for those using backup scanners

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by devaj, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devaj

devaj Registered Member

Which is the best on-demand backup scanner to go with Nod32 as on-access scanner.Has anybody tried Avast as OD scanner with Nod32 as OA scanner.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lets stay clear from 'the best' as your thread will get closed,

why cant you use Nod32's scanner and use Drwebs Cureit as your backup?

or maybe just use the countless online scanners that are now available, if its only a backup scanner... it shouldnt matter how its done really.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

No idea about the best but personally i use avg as its easy to setup and configure for on demand scanning only. I use it as an additional scanner to my two main realtime av's f-prot and nod32.

4. devaj

devaj Registered Member

First of all thank you all for replying.i cant use online scanners as i don't have a good internet speed(i am on dial up),so it would take ages for the scan to get complete.Your suggestion about Drwebs Cureit is well appreciated.Do you yourself use Drwebs Cureit as your backup scanner.If yes how has your experience been.(let me tell you that where i live internet access is still a privilege and due to crappy speed,i wanted a permanent solution instead of downloading the updated software every month which by the way would take a hell lot of a time to download,i hope you would understand)

5. devaj

devaj Registered Member

Hey farmerlee isn't there any kind of conflicts using 2 realtime scanners.how long have you been using this combo.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Backup scanner? How do I put the computer in reverse?

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Oh i don't use them both on the same system at the same time. They are simply the 2 av's i use to protect my systems and the family systems.
    AVG works great as an on demand scanner. You simply install it minus the real time file/email scanner, disable the control center startup and set its 2 services to manual. That way it only runs when you want it to. I'm sure other av's would work just as well on demand, however i don't know how easy/hard it would be to do so.

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have used both Cureit and Ewido Micro as back up scanners to compliment Nod on our Towers and Avast on our lap tops. No problems here. Really the only thing I do not like is that EM auto-updates on start-up, no options to do other. Actually I guess it is a nice feature, but for those on dial-up.......?

9. devaj

devaj Registered Member

Thank you for your reply farmerlee and thunderz.Well after reading posts from other members of wilders security i came to the conclusion that i SHOULD be using either Drwebs cureit or MWAV which uses KAV's engine but provides just the scan,no removal.Since nobody is supporting having avast as backup scanner i am going to drop that idea.Any more suggestion are welcome.Thank you all for your help and supporting comments.

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I really do not see a problem using Avast as a back up scanner. My only thought is to do a custom install. No need to install it all if you are only going to use one of its` features.

11. devaj

devaj Registered Member

THANK YOU ALL FOR UR SUPPORT.HOPE THAT THIS THREAD HELPS SOMEONE AS IT HAS HELPED ME.THANK YOU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.