Question Concerning KIS 6

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Hi. My current AV subscription is coming to an end in a couple of weeks, and I'm leaning towards a suite. My first choice at this time is KIS6, mainly because of the AV. Is the firewall in KIS a fairly easy one to use? I'm using Sunbelt Kerio4 now, and it's pretty easy for me to use. It asks me if I want to allow outgoing connection, I say yes, it asks me if I want to allow incoming connection, I say no. I really don't want something so complicated, that I'd have to spend time going through all listed apps creating outbound/inbound rules for them. I guess basically what I'm asking is, is it a user friendly firewall?

Thank you.

PS....Mods, if this should be in the Other Firewall forum, go ahead an move it.

2. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

If you go for a suite KIS is the best! :thumb:

Regarding the firewall (Anti-Hacker), IMO, is easy to use , it has 5 levels:

Block all - blocks any network activity on your computer. If you select this protection level, you will not be able to use any network resources or programs that require a network connection. We recommend that you only select this level in the event of a network attack or when using an insecure network.

High security - network activity is allowed as far as is stipulated by the allow rule. Anti-Hacker uses rules that came with the program or that you created. The set of rules included with Kaspersky Internet Security includes allow rules for applications whose network activity is not suspicious and for data packets that are absolutely safe to send and receive. However, if there is a block rule in the list of rules for an application with higher priority than the allow rule, the program will block the network activity of that application.

Training mode - level of protection where Anti-Hacker rules are created. On this level, every time a program attempts to use a network resource, Anti-Hacker checks to see if there is a rule for that connection. If there is a rule, Anti-Hacker follows its instructions. If there is no rule, a message will appear on the screen. It will contain a description of the network connection (what program initiated it, what port, the protocol, etc.). You must decide whether you should allow this connection or not. Using a special button in the message window, you can create a rule for that connection so that in the future Anti-Hacker will use the conditions in the rule for that connection without warning you on screen.

Low security
    - only blocks clearly banned network activity. Anti-Hacker in accordance with block rules included with the program or that you have created. However, if there is a allow rule in the list of rules for an application with higher priority than the block rule, the program will allow the network activity of that application.

Allow all - allows all network activity on your computer. We recommend setting protection to this level in extremely rare cases when no active network attacks have been observed and you fully trust all network activity.

I always have it on training mode for it to prompt me every new connection attempt, it also has a very powerful anti-leak protection along with the other KIS module: Proactive Defense and also includes IDS (Intrusion Detection System)

If you have any problem at any time using KIS you just can ask on their very active forums here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/

3. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

I'd like to jump in for a moment and ask a related question if I can; with the KIS6 package, can you select to install/not install the FW or antispam or is it an all or nothing? I'm trying the KAV6 now and have not used KIS yet.

thanks

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Yes, you can choose which feature you want to install/uninstall.
    As for myself I have no need for the antispam feature so thats the only thing that is not installed on KIS 6.

You mentioned you are trying KAV 6 but not KIS 6, do you have the suite or do you just have the AV?
    The reason I ask is because if you are just going to use the AV and nothing else than just stay with KAV 6.
    This option is also available with KIS to just use the AV but whats the point of that?

5. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I installed all the features during the install process and then disable/enable the various components as desired.

6. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Well I had planned on using KAV and the Vista advanced FW.. But after installing Vista last night on a laptop and seeing how confusing the rules based FW is, I think I need something a bit simpler.

All I really need from a FW is I want to OK the first time it 'calls out' to the outside world.. I know the anti hacker and the vista FW would do the same as blocking incoming, so that's not the concern..

Otherwise I would just go with KAV and the Vista FW..

7. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

As well as chosing the items required at time of installation you can also remove and add items after installation by using the "Add and Remove" from the Control Panal. Click on the remove or change button and you can then modify/remove/repair KIS6.

John.

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

use Kav & look n' stop...

9. Mannaggia

I don't want to be rude, but can we get back on track to my original question. Does anyone else have any opinions on, or can share their knowledge about, KIS's firewall?

dah145.....Thank you for your reply. That is very informative. I'd still like to get some more opinions from other users. :)

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

my personal experience of KIS's firewall is not a good one, it can be awkward to use sometimes, it can also pop up with things you just dont understand.

also i had problems with the firewall not allowing applications automatically to connect or even popping up with an allow/deny, sometimes (not always) i had to manually enter rules for programs for them to connect, not good.

some people do not have problems with it, but my personal experience of it was the above comments, im not dissing kaspersky, their antivirus is great, but the firewall... can be iffy sometimes.

edit: my settings were on 'training mode' at the time.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the firewall is good. Set it to training mode, expect some intial pop-ups, and it will calm down over time. But in answer to the question, it is good.

12. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Along with what dah145 posted, I will add that if you've ever used Outpost Pro than you will know what the rule setup of KIS 6 looks like, that's probably the best way to describe it.
    Its not hard to learn how this firewall works if you have some basic knowledge of firewalls.

13. Mannaggia

Thank you. I guess I'll install the trial version and see how it goes. I have used Outpost a long time ago, and wasn't that fond of it, but I'll see what this looks like. Thanks again.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is correct, and applies to many other FWs that use permission based protocols. Once you train them, after a while they all settle down.

15. Mannaggia

Ok, I've been using the trial version of KIS 6 now for about two and a half days. I don't think I will keep it much longer though. I don't like having to check all the listed apps to make sure they are allowed outbound connection only. Too many "inbound" and "outbound and inbound" allowed rules for each app. I like it when the firewall asks you if you want to allow outbound or inbound connection before the rules are set. Other than that, KIS 6 is a very nice program.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

KIS offers a pop up blocker, is it working for you? ... i mean, at all?

didnt with me, dont know why its added as a feature of KIS

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well chris do what is your main browser you use?
    because oddly the popup blocker in kis6.0 works with IE only....
    lodore

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i do use IE, always have. o_O

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it should of blocked stuff then
    the antibanner has blocked stuff on my system.
    my online game runescape seems to work best with IE.
    it causes lots of ram usage with opera or firefox.
    jagex need to work on compatiblity with other browsers.
    but everything else is in opera 9.1
    lodore

20. Mannaggia

The pop up blocker works ok. I turned off the IE pop up blocker, and KIS's pop up blocker worked fine. The banner blocker is hit and miss. It works with some web sites, but not with others. I use My.Yahoo as my home page, and banner blocker does not always block the banner ad on that page. I use Firefox as my default browser, so I don't care too much about the banner or ad blocker. Since I don't like the firewall, don't use the spam blocker or ad/banner blocker, I don't think I'll continue with KIS 6. Next stop, Avira.

21. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

is the lastest beta 6.0.2.573?
    will the improved firewall settings be in mp2 which should be out at the end of janaury?
    is that test accurate?
    because antihacker rates high that outpost 4.0?
    but comodo ranks the best like normal
    jetigo and zonealarm in top three is normal
    its nice to see kis6.0 firewall being better than outpost 4.0 but i cant see why it would be.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Indeed and as a reminder it is "Question Concerning KIS 6".

Having said that....numerous posts were removed and suggest PM system for personal off-topic chit chat.

Bubba

24. Mannaggia

lodore......Do you have KIS's anti-hacker firewall set to training mode? Do you make any changes in the rule sets, or do you just let KIS do it for you?

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used to have it on training mode but it got knida annoying since superantispyware update runs from temp location so antihacker always says application changed do you want to grant access.
    but might go back to training mode when mp2 comes out should be end of january.
    so i put it on low secuirty for now.
    bad name for it if you ask me low securiryt doesnt sound good lol.
    they really should re name it.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.