Question before purchase.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by adamadam, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamadam

adamadam Registered Member

I used too use Drive Image which let you browse and extract the contents of an image.

For example, you could make a backup image of your bootdrive (C), then do a clean install of your OS (not using the image), and then use Drive Image to browse the image of your old drive so as to access files you might need or whatever.

It was handy.

Does True Image allow this? I'm about to migrate to a larger HD, and I want to do a clean install - it would be handy if I could make an image of the entire disc and stick it on another HD (my PC has 2) so I can later access the old drive.

That make sense? Sorry for being long-winded!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, after you re-install the OS, and re-install True Image, you will be able to browse the contents of the Backup Image.

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Wecome adamadam as DwnNdrty says you can browse the image, with version 11 you are suppose to be able to "explore" the images. I have had no luck doing this with windows explore, but you can right click the image file ( the tib file) and mount the image like another hard drive and copy and paste. Works sweet!!

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Download the trial version and try this prog before you buy it. You might not mind the stuff that doesn't work correctly or it might drive you batty, especially after you've paid for it. So try before you buy.

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Once again very good advice by shieber try it first TI has added far too many "bells and whistles" to version 11, I for one wish they would just make a simple Image,restore,mount software and forget all the "bells and whistles" that I for one never use and never will.

6. Apollos

Apollos Registered Member

On the example given (doing a clean install and then copying files from the image), you would still have to reinstall all applications if you did it this way, correct?

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Yes just as you stated above actually. You would have to install TI to "mount" the image, I do seem to recall a few people being able to "explore" the image in windows.But as I said I wasn't successful doing it this way.

8. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I am able to do that on a Vista system with ATI 11 installed. I assume that ATI installed some sort of helper or virtual driver that enables such exploration even without launching the ATI applications.

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

So quite likely Apollos will be able to "explore" the image too.
    Thanks for that tuttle I presume then that you can copy files from the "explore" and paste them in windows also?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.