Question About Windows Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mismis29, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

[I wasn't sure what forum to post this in. Feel free to move it :) ]

I have a question regarding updates that were found when checking for Microsoft Windows Updates.{Note: I am running WindowsXP Pro on a stand-alone home computer}. Two updates were found (excluding SP2,which I'm still thinking about) -----

1) High Priority Update :

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
    Date last published: 9/2/2004
    Download size: 10.2 MB
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
    System Requirements
    Recommended CPU: Not specified.
    Recommended memory: Not specified.
    Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
    Help and support
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867460

2) Optional Hardware Update :

Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
    Date last published: 8/27/2004
    Download size: 512 KB
    Agere modem software update released on June 29 2004.
    System Requirements
    Recommended CPU: Not specified.
    Recommended memory: Not specified.
    Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
    Help and support
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/

I was just wondering exactly what these updates are for, and if they are necessary for my computer.

Thanx a bunch for your input :D

BTW, I checked out the links that were provided, and the info didn't really help.

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi mismis29,

I think you posted in the right place.
    These are just my opinions.

If you already have installed .NET installed, then get the update.
    If you do not have .NET, then I would not install it. Only if some of the programs that you need to use requires .NET should you get it.

MS claims this and that, how wonderful, secure, and how much better it is, blah, blah, blah. After all their long descriptions, they really don't say what it does, or how it helps the end user specifically. Anything like that only helps MS and is not essential.

Beware of the windows hardware updates: especially modem, LAN, and sound card drivers. They have caused me headaches on numerous occasions. They are not better then what you get from the manufacturer. Even video card drivers, get them from Nvidia, ATI, or the manufacturer of the video card.

Just my two bits.

3. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Thanx for the quick reply Devinco :)

It seems that i do have Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.4322 installed on my machine. I have no idea what it does or if I actually use it, so I guess I'll hold off for now. In regards to the Agere update: I checked the windows update installation history and noticed that there was one update for my Agere modem(prior to getting my computer). Now, the 'Source' for all my updates is the "Windows Update Website", however, the 'Source' for the Agere update is the "Device Manager". I'm not sure exactly what that is, so I don't know if I should download the update via 'Automatic Windows Update', or if I should just forget about it all together.

Thanx for your help :D

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

Personally, I wouldn't update it. You may be able to update it on windowsupdate with no problems. On XP, if there is a problem with the driver, you should still be able to roll back the driver to the previous version through Device Manager.
    But I would rather go to the manufacturer's web site and get the updated driver from there.

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Don't tweak if it's not broken. Most drivers update from MSFT stinks. Don't update unless you have a problem. Always image your OS because you may not be able to undo the change.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I think as Devinco has posted you would be best to apply the service pack to the .NET framework already installed on your computer as you will note some of the 'fixes' are security related.

I know it is not quite obvious what .NET framework actually does but sooner or later you will come across software which requires the framework in order to install and run. Two I can think of just now are Drive Image and CleanCache (apparently other software writers will be using the framework for their software in the future :rolleyes: )

I have the original framework as you have but did install the service pack to patch any flaws which may have been in the one I have. I agree with the others leave hardware drivers and hide them on the update site.

HTH

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Concerning Net Framework, a brief definition.
    Installed last night with no problems.

I know not of the second...

GF

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

From what I understand from what I have read at microsoft in the past is that unless you are running as a server you do not need the .net update.

9. GlobalForce

Then it's OK, I'm running as a server. :D

10. bigc73542

you can go here to see how to use .net and what it is for.net info

11. GlobalForce

The update page list's it as critical, but after a quick read, looks like I'd have to agree with you BigC. Probably not.

How about the second one on the "mismis" post, optional if you actually have that item?

GF

12. bigc73542

I have not used dial up in for ever plus I never had an agere modem so I never downloaded that one.

13. GlobalForce

Of course, how silly of me to think you could be everywhere on this forum with dial-up. Besides, I am aware Opera is fast...

GF :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.