Question about windows phone 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am conidering my next smart phone to be windows 8. I always disliked iPhone as i feel my self handicapped while using it as a pocket PC. In iPhone you can,t naviagate to folders, every app is tightly bound via OS sandbox. In contrast, on Android I can use an explorer to navigate to different folders and open, copy, paste etc all type of files as I wish. It,s a very much PC-like experience that we are used to.

I am not sure how are thing on windows phone 8. Can any one tel me about this? Is it similar to android or iPhone? Thanks

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It is similar to Android. Before, Android I had (still have) Windows phones v5.5, v6.0 and then v6.5. Microsoft kept on promising on better integration of their OS and never delivered on their promises. It even had Office on it. Then I moved on to iPhone and was never satisfied. Now, my latest phones are Android.

Hope the above is helpful.

Best regards,

3. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

It is more like IOS ( IPhone) because Windows Phone 8 doesnt have a File Explorer/Manager , unrecognizable files are only accessible on a computer.

WP8 is great , but it needs more love from developers. It has a very beautiful interface , its very fast and smooth , has good apps and superb integration with Microsoft ecosystem ( Office/Skydrive/Skype/Xbox).

Nokia Lumia devices are awesome :thumb:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So no way to explore the files/ folders via any app? That,s disapointing.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think windows phone 7 and 8 are very different than older versions.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

7. Nightwalker

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

They are indeed. In some aspects 7 and 8 have actually lost features that 6 had due to the code re-write they did for 7.

WP8 is definitely an upgrade to 7 but I personally couldn't call it "fully featured" yet. It's still a relatively immature OS, but if you're not a power user, it's usually fine.

The good thing about WP is updates, with WP8 you're promised updates for at least 18 months. So as the OS inevitable progresses to become much more mature, you'll be getting them without needing to perform any tricks or device flashing.

I'm (reasonably) sure that WP will become the third player in the smarphone market eventually mainly due to it's innovative UI differences to the "standard" interface that iOS/Android have. But that growth will most definitely be slow, and will probably coincide with WP's patching progress (as it continues improving it will gain popularity).

So in summary:
    If you're not a power user or an app addict, it's a great phone to have now.
    If you are, it will be a great phone to have in the next 1-2 years.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

There is not, but it is likely one will come and you can browse the files when connected to a PC. I am not bothered by this limitation but obviously some may be as it was mentioned. Overall I still prefer it to the Android phone I parted with.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hmm, shouldn't this be possible (via an app) now that it has the new NT kernel in WP8?

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It should be. Someone just needs to make one.

12. Nightwalker

So We share the same opinion , I am not bothered by this and I really like WP 8 interface and speed. :)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.