question about windows defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shek, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shek

shek Registered Member

I would like to know how effective and reliable the real time protection of windows defender is. What kind of technology does it use to monitor the startup and other critical system section in the registry, polling or api hooking?

Any comments are welcome.

shek

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In my experience it catches around 50-60 percent of spywares/ adwares i tried.
    In advanced mnode it monitors installation of new drivers, services etc and informs u about new start up items and has really a goood white list in this regard( best white list of any application I have seen so far- but how reliable this list si- I can,t say). Also monitors IE start page( though i tried with one spywares and it could not revert the homepage back- but might eb a conflict as I was using many similar programmes at that time)., IE add ons, tollbars etc.
    It doesnot block the new services, start ups and drivers, just lets them insatll anfd tell u after the install and gives u option to keep or remove. Quick scan is fast and takes few minutes.
    I am trying it second time and i did noticed improvement in detection

3. shek

shek Registered Member

aigle---
    Thank you very much. Seems like WD uses polling.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Have no idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.