Question about what ESET-SS scans

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by diggeryo, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diggeryo

diggeryo Registered Member

Please pardon my ignorance with this question. I'm testing out multiple Internet Security applications. I'm currently testing ESET, ad I must say that so far it's the best.

One thing I don't understand, however, is what the anti-virus/anti-spyware is actually scanning. When I choose "Custom Scan," it gives me the option to choose the "Scan Targets." Listed are my computer drivers as well as an option that says "Operating memory." What exactly is "Operating memory?" Is that just my RAM, or does that include the Windows registry? If it doesn't include the registry, how do I set it up so a scan will scan the registry as well?

I've skimmed through the User Guide, but it doesn't explain in detail what exactly "Operating memory" is. It says only, "Scans for threats that attack the operating memory of the system." What does that include?

Thank you,
    mike.

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi, "Operating memory" are actual loaded programs. Hmm, I don't know, if I explained exactly. :D You cannot scan registry via EAV/ESS.

Best regards, Lukas

3. diggeryo

Thank you for the reply, Lukas. I do understand what you mean by "loaded programs."

Are there any rumors as to whether scanning of the registry will be added to future versions of ESS?

thanks,
    mike.

4. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

I thougt actual running programs,... I try get information about scanning registry in couple of days. ;)

5. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

I have never seen a AV program scan the registry per say...at least watching a scan I have never seen one go through the hives of the registry however if it finds a suspicious app, it might be modifying the registry as a part of cleaning the app. What I have seen in other ISS packages is they track registry changes like on installs etc... that is why most programs tell you to turn off AV/ISS packages before doing the install.....

6. diggeryo

I agree with you, Shansmi. However, I was under the impress ESET Smart Security also scanned for other malware (spyware, adware, etc.). If this is the case, then most anti-spyware programs do scan the registry in addition to the currently running programs and hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.