Question about Truecrypt and multiple drives

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Ewarrior11, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewarrior11

Ewarrior11 Registered Member

I have a small ssd and a large conventional hd. I like to have windows store folders like my documents and other user folders on the conventional hard drive, which is not the drive that windows is installed on. Is it possible to set up in such a way that the pre boot authentication would allow the non system drive to be mounted automatically at boot? If I mount the data drive after boot it's problematic as windows gets unhappy when it can't find user folders.

The goal is to have both drives encrypted and have a seamless boot. Is this possible? If not, are there equivalent products that can accomplish this?

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I would strongly recommend DiskCryptor. It will do exactly what you want easily. I used to be a fan of TrueCrypt and BestCrypt BCVE for OTF encryption, but DiskCryptor blows them both away. DiskCryptor also has SSD optimization in the latest beta version which helps tremendously with the performance hit you'll suffer as a result of the encryption.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

How does DiskCryptor blow Truecrypt away? GUI? Ease-Of-Use? While these are important, Truecrypt has been tried and true for years. It's the cryptographic quality that makes Truecrypt a winner.

4. Ewarrior11

Ewarrior11 Registered Member

Is there any way to get TC's pre-boot authentication to make a secondary drive visible to windows, as I detailed above?

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm not saying TrueCrypt is a loser. I use it and like it. If you can easily solve Ewarrior11's original and latest questions using TrueCrypt, I'll gladly reconsider my position. And while TrueCrypt's system favorites may work for his application, good luck dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7 on 2 separate drives with TrueCrypt without resorting to using Grub or some other coddled together setup.

And what specifically makes DiskCryptor's cryptographic quality inferior to TrueCrypt?

6. jesusjesus

jesusjesus Registered Member

Problem with DiskCryptor is that there is no support, not even a sizeable amount of users who participate in the forums. Many people only speak Russian there too.

I think with 1 move version release this could be really great and bug free, but the writer maybe deceased in jail or just have no interesting in the software any longer. He's russian it's a dangerous place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.