Question about Simple-DNSCrypt (first post)

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by EggBath, Sep 9, 2016.

1. EggBath

EggBath Registered Member

Hi everyone. This seems like a great place to hang. You don't find very much information like this just anywhere. I just installed Simple-DNSCrypt and tried to verify that it's working. In their documentation they say to set the ip4 properties and make the preferred DNS Server 127.0.0.1.

After that, I flushed the DNS cache. Then I tried to load a page. Well, nothing would load and I'm not good enough at this yet to know why.

Can anyone tell me how to make things work using the local host IP?

thanks.

edit: yes, I'm using windows

2. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

Verify the dnscrypt proxy service is running. Verify windows adapter settings are set for dns at 127.0.0.1. do not set an alternate. OK.

Open the simpledns crypt gui, make sure the service is turned on, if the slider at right is grey, use the mouse to move the slide bar right to turn it on. click your internet adaper, it should have a check mark upper right, use the slider to expose any hidden ones, click the as needed. click menu at top for 'Resolvers', turn on auto mode. Apply Menu - advanced settings, turn on options as desired. apply settings. Menu - query log. Turn on. if working the log should fill. exit gui. Settings should be permanent & will survive a reboot.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

4. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

5. 142395

142395 Guest

I personally advise not to use 127.0.0.1 & 127.0.0.222, as they are often used by other programs so can cause conflict or even potential risk. Just use 127.0.0.3 etc., but not sure if Simple-DNSCrypt support it as I haven't used these GUI interfaces for DNSCrypt. Also not sure if it supports ephemeral key option, but on Windows you can set registry value tho there was a bug in past.

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I installed DNSCrypt in Linux yesterday night.
    The default local address is 127.0.2.1.

7. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Should i click to remove the service in the GUI when i am going to uninstall simple dnscrypt, or will the uninstall remove the windows service. After install is done, i can't launch the GUI anymore for some reason. It just will not open up. Same thing happened when i uninstalled it and installed it again. Once installed i can't get to the GUI and settings anymore.

8. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.