question about showing hidden files in XP

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by pojispear, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

is there any danger to unchecking the box for Hidden files used by windows and leaving these hidden files visible?

i don't mind seeing them, but was wondering if this is a vulnerability to malware. should i leave them hidden normally?

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Vulnerablity to malware, no.

The "danger" is the possibilty of deleting them.

I as a matter of course do show them. Some might not want to see them just for less clutter.

Regards - Charles

3. pojispear

thanks. do you know if malware can detect and change hidden files? or do they not need to touch those hidden files?

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi pojispear,

Lets backup here.

All what this is about is whether the user(s) sees these or not. As far I know, doesn't have anything to do with malware one way or another.

By and large, malware has the same level of access that a user has to the system. That's why a common bit of advice is to run as a limited user when surfing, but, that's not about whether files are "hidden" or not. So the answer to your question: can malware detect and change hidden files? or do they not need to touch those hidden files? is malware will do what it will do whether its hidden or not.

"Hidden files" is also for keeping non Admin secondary users on your system from seeing folders. The elaboration on that is password protecting access to files, for that you need to be running XP Pro and the NTFS file system.

Regards - Charles

5. pojispear

thanks zcv, those malwares are devious!

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Some trivia on hidden files.

Yet there are some files that still can't be seen such as the INFO2 and desktop.ini hidden within the recycle bin.

On rare occassions this INFO2 can become corrupted and cause probs.Deleting it can fix the prob as a new clean INFO2 file is regenerated by windows.

Icesword can show and delete it and a free search utility I use,Agent Ransack,can also show but can't delete it.

Another way to delete INFO2 is through cmd but I've forgotten how to do that at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.