Question about "safe" Version of Boot-CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by redbull21, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbull21

redbull21 Registered Member

Hi,

I´m a German member and I hope you will forgive me, if my English is not the very best. I used the "safe" Boot-CD (Build 800) for a test and found out that my internal CD/DVD-Rom drives and Floppy drive are not available to choose. When using the "normal" Boot-CD, they are. Is this usual or is something going wrong with my PC?

This official supported forum is an inexhaustible source for almost every problem about using TI. Although TI is (in my eyes) an excellent product, there will always occure some questions (for ex. how to manage a comfortable and full-automatically scheduling of backups. I found the solution here, Thanks to all). So this forum is really a very useful thing, particularly for the developers to get the feeling for the users most-wanted improvements.

The German Acronis-website unfortunately doesn´t offer any open forum for product-users, much less a supported one. So you have either to learn English or google and google to find perhaps some answers, spreaded out to many different forums. So I would like to suggest a similar service for German users too, reachable by a link in the www.acronis.de Site (alternatively a German-corner here in this forum would be helpful).

Nice to hear from you

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi Red - Your English is way better than my German :)

One difference between the "full" and the "safe" version of the boot CD is that the safe version only uses the routines that is inside the BIOS. The full version includes it own routines/drivers for USB, FireWire, PCMIA etc.

But your internal CD/DVD and diskette drive should be visible I think, since the BIOS knows about those devices.... So something seems to be wrong - somewhere.

3. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

I must stop following you around. :) Like Red, I find the CD/DVD drives disappear when I use the safe mode CD rather than the full mode. I now use full mode with the quiet acpi=off no apic switch, and everything works fine.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

The Safe version is usually used only when the Full one doesn't work. In contrast with the latter the former is not Linux-based and is based on DOS and may not recognize some devices. Since your Full version works there is no reason to worry.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.