Question about Rx baseline

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

When you reset the baseline is space that Rx was holding onto from deleted files freed up of does Rx keep a hold of it?

I ask because when I went to reset the baseline there was a message that old snaps would be merged into the new baseline and I am not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Hi BG,

Do you actually mean 'Reset to' the baseline? ...or do you mean 'Update' the baseline? When choosing to Reset to the baseline, RB not only reverts to the baseline snapshot, it also deletes all existing incremental snapshots!!! Over the years that I've been using RB, I can't remember opting to Reset to the baseline because I could simply restore the baseline snapshot (whenever I wanted to) without losing my more recent snapshots!

Updating the baseline is entirely another matter and an operation that I consider to be good RB practice. When you update the baseline, RB essentially rolls-up the existing baseline snapshot and all of the incremental snapshots into a new (current) baseline. And at the time RB is creating this new baseline it performs a snapshot optimization and defragmentation. I update my baseline on a weekly basis (right after making a raw disk-image of my entire system partition). ;)

Hth,
    Aaron

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. bgoodman4

I mean update the baseline (make a new baseline). The question is will this free up the space from deleted files and programs.

The reason I ask is because I had an issue where I somehow managed to image my drive to itself rather than to the external drive I intended to image to. This meant that there was only 1 gig of free space on my drive. Deleting the files with Rx installed would not actually free the space for the PC to use so I thought I would just update the baseline to the post delete state. When I began to do this there was a message from Rx that all previous snapshots would be incorporated into the new baseline snap. This sounded like it would not free up the space so I decided to uninstal Rx and reinstall so I would get the space back. The question is was this necessary.

On another note what would have happened had the image been larger than the free space available rather than just shy of it. Would that have made my PC un-usable in some way? Would I have had to do a reformat and reinstall (or restore the drive using one of my Paragon images)?

Just curious how XP would handle this situation. Perhaps it would have terminated the process before the drive had 0 free space,,,,,perhaps not.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

To free space, just defragment your snapshots. It will recalculate space and you will see increased free space and almost negligible performance improvement (personal experience).

5. Aaron Here

Yes, as long as those files did not exist in your current snapshot when updating the baseline.

You could just delete the file(s), take a new snapshot and then delete the prior (then current) snapshot, following that with a snapshot-defrag. By doing that RB would free-up the disk-sectors associated with the deleted file(s). Of course if there's no longer a need for your older snapshots then updating the baseline (to the new current snapshot) would also free-up all sectors no longer needed by RB. I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across here. :doubt:

I would imagine that Paragon would (or should) have recognized that the image required more space than that which was free at the time ...but then again I'm not a Paragon user.

Aaron

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  6. bgoodman4

Thank you both for your answers, much appreciated.

7. Aaron Here

Glad to be of help BG - just be especially aware when selecting between 'Reset To Baseline' and 'Update Baseline'. If you aren't paying attention, you could be in for a shocker! :eek:

Aaron

8. bgoodman4

Good point,,, not something I would be happy to have done if done wrong,,, for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.