Question about running SSM and winsonar?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by notageek, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

OK I turned a friend on to using SSM now he ran into Winsonar and he's using both now. Is there more harm (security wise) than good? I say there isn't but thought I would ask here to make sure before I tell her. Oh yeah before I forgot to say what OS she has. It's windows XP.

2. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Would you recommend your friend use ZAP and Outpost together?

3. notageek

I never recommended my friend to use both of them porgrams together. I said I turn her on to ssm. I never tried winsonar. I looked at it before but never got around to try it. I thought I would just stick with SSM. But how does SSM and winsonar act like ZAP or Outpost? I know SSM is an App firewall but Would be the big problem if she kept on using both ssm and winsonar?

4. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

I'll be clear then since you don't seem to get at what I'm hinting.

SSM and winsonar are similar in function that running both is likely to cause software conflicts. It is the same as recommending someone to run 2 software firewalls , or 2 AVS memory resident at the same time.

5. notageek

I took the hint but I was wondering why and now that you answered me with an answer and not a question thanks.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I doubt there would be the same sort of conflict between WinSonar and SSM than you would have between 2 firewalls. WinSonar (to judge from this page) just monitors processes running in memory (and can optionally terminate any that start when you go online - an interesting approach but probably not for those with "always on" DSL/Cable connections :D).

To this extent, WinSonar would appear to function much like an anti-virus/anti-trojan memory scanner or process monitor and there has not been a great deal of conflict reported with these (I use SSM with Tauscan's Taumon memory scanner with no conflict whatsoever).

Of course, conjecture can be no substitute for trial - but WinSonar does not appear to offer anything over SSM except ease of use.

7. notageek

Well she said she has been using them for a few days now and no conflict with them yet. I don't know. That's why I asked here. I'm waiting for more reponses before I tell her it's a bad idea. Thanks Paranoid2000

8. SnowPerson

SnowPerson Guest

C A U T I O N

a calm word of caution in regards to WinSonar......I just barely limped into the forum to make this post.....my system was crippled.....seems to be coming back alittle at a time now.

Tryed WinSonar....nice lil proggy....an although set as safe programs winsonar knocked out my firewall and anti-virus four times......but no problem...
    so, decided to un-install winsonar.......an thats when the problems began......hopefully this wont happen to anyone else......removal of winsonar also removed VBRUN....plus a much needed <OCX>...FOR SPYWAREBLASTER.....my cleaners would no longer work....etc., etc,. much to tired to say more....had to download and re-install spyblaster.....and re-install VBRUN..........the removal of winsonar left 31 registry entries...cleaning those may have caused some of my other problem....
    no, it wasn't a bad program...worked very well....except for failing to accept that the above mention programs were safe.....strangly only those two programs were not accepted as safe.....odd.
    anyways.....thats my experience.....hope yours is better...

9. notageek

WOW thanks for the warning. I'm glad I didn't install and mess with winsonar. But I'm going to see if the same thing happens to my friend cmputer. I'm going ask her to uninstall winsonar and see if it messes up things and if it does I'm going to email the makers about the matter.

10. notageek

OK I went over to my friends house (next door) and we uninstalled winsonar and deleted every key thast had to do with winsonar and rebooted the computer and everything works just fine.

11. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Since SSM does the same thing as Winsolar, you can get a endless cycle of popups, if you are not careful.

12. notageek

I dpon't know about that but I do know that I get pop ups from SSM when I start a new program but it's not that bad.

13. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Notageek

Well now you really have me wondering........it un-installed fine for you but whacks me.........not the first time something like this has happen on differant os's......but gosh, this was just a simple un-install.....

but no big deal......am glad the un-install went well for you

aka snowman

14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

First let me say that I have Process Guard from Diamonds CS and plan to keep it. I have used SSM and didn't like it. Was a pain. Tried Abtrusion Protector and loved it. If you don't want to spend any money for PG go with AP. I think it is a great program.

15. notageek

Snowman Maybe it was a bad install in the first place. Sometimes programs have bad installs and bad un installs. But I'm going to try to install it on my computer and see what happens. Let you know the results.

Snowman Get well soon.

16. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

BILLY P

Very good suggestions..appreciated....however, the OS is a 98se an wont take those programs...otherwise would go with PG

Notageek

Well have got most if not all the system back up and running. An yes, I would agree with you that there had to be some other issue other than Winsonar......numerous files just disappeared...poof..gone! Just un-installing one lil program could never have hammered a pc so badly as this.....
    everything seems to be back to normal again...fortunately I keep back-ups of nearly all programs.......an some system files etc.....good thing to....cause most of the programs would not run. This is a put-together pc...not the norm....its a very old box...upgraded....running 98se with some extras......some of this..some of that....but it works.

Thank you for the get well wishes. Notageek, I am having a really bad time of it just not saying much......don't want to come-off as being self-centered. But am going to have to dig real deep and find the motivation to battle this illness.

Appreciate your willingness to test Winsonar but please don't mess-up your computer. I am convinced that winsonar was only a part of the problem........remember, my firewall and anti-virus was dis-abled for awhile....my other security would under those circumstances usually protect the pc to some degree..but things can and do happen.

ak snowman

17. notageek

Snowman. I went and downloaded winsonar and played with it for about an hour (not bad of a program) and I un installed it using it's un installer and removed all the registry entries and rebooted my computer. No problem here yet.

Just on a side note I ran SSM and winsonar together and didn't really get alot of pop ups. There was no conflict from what I seen.

18. Snowperson

Snowperson Guest

NotaGeek

Much thanks for taking of your time to check this out. I've taken an indept look into what could possibly have happen but found no logical answers. Baffling part is how VBRUN got un-installed......
    Much to my surprise...after re-installing....several programs are functioning much faster....resources improved....had to be a conflict somewhere...I think I know where....just not proven as yet.
    yes, winsonar was a nice program. The only issue I noticed is those "safe" programs being knocked out for some reason....after being added to the "safe" list. But have seen this happen before an usually its something User related.....
    Well My Friend......ot: today I managed to walk around some...an tomorrow I'll begin a work-out program...

ak:snowman

19. notageek

Thats great news that you're walking a little and that you're going to be starting a workout program tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.