Question about Returnil 2008 Virtual System

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by DVD+R, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Not too sure about whether this program would be of any use to me as I have Rollback Rx Pro 8.1 protecting my system. Would it benefit me any? Or would it not be required along side of Rollback o_O

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Rollback RX is a disk recovery software as you know. Returnil turns your drive into a read only drive so nasties can't write to it and infect your pc while its turned on. What happens is once turned on your drive becomes virtual and any changes to it happen virtually. The data doesn't get written. Once you reboot all the changes have gone they never happened on your real drive. So it protects you from spyware and anybody making changes. It good to use both Rollback and Returnil together. Returnil also creates a small partition if you need to write anything while its turned on. Returnil is prevention. Rollback is a cure after disaster strikes. They are each a solution for two different things.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The two work well together, personally i use rollback and powershadow together. Rollback isn't invincible so i enable powershadow if i'm gonna do something i think could be dangerous.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Just looked at the PowerShadow website, the first screenshot which says you have to choose what operating system to startup puts me off o_O Why that would be required God only knows, they could have made that automatic rather than having to select: lurking:

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'm really not quite sure what you're saying here. You do have the option to set the default boot to be either normal or shadowed mode, but that it is the standard multiboot system menu defined in boot.ini and if you don't choose something else (or select default) within the defined wait period, the default automatically boots. No more, no less.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.