Question about recognition of wireless connection by Webroot Desktop Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fly, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm due for a new firewall in the near future. I've looked at some, haven't made any decision yet.

I already have the Spy Sweeper of Webroot.

It seems they are offering their desktop firewall temporarily for free. I've downloaded it and saved it on the desktop.

Does anyone know how it deals with wireless connections ? (configuration: router connected by cable to modem, wireless connection to computer in a different room, no other computers. )

The wireless connection has not been created by a network wizard of Windows XP, the adapter on my computer has its own software.

So, will Webroot's firewall detect the wireless connection ?
    If not, the wireless connection would bypass the software firewall. And my router's firewall is insufficient.
    Currently still using McAfee: the McAfee software has sometimes problems detecting my wireless connection. I don't want to repeat that with a new firewall. And in McAfee you can configure the McAfee software to 'trust' or to not 'trust' the 'network. I wouldn't want my 'network', possibly including the router and the rest of the internet, to be trusted.

I really want a firewall that doesn't have problems with my wireless connection ! That, and strong inbound protection (deep stateful inspection or something like that) is what matters most. Basic outbound protection is also required, but I don't need it to be leaktest-proof.

I'm open to suggestions regarding other firewalls. It shouldn't be expensive if possible.

2. EricEgan

EricEgan Registered Member

Comodo Firewall 3!

CPF3 detects new networks and asks whether or not to trust them.

It is a firewall and a HIPS together. You do have the option JUST to use the firewall. IF you do this, make sure you tick the anti-leak protection if you're not going to use the Defense+ feature.

Firewall also includes an on-demand virus/malware scanner and offers you the chance to scan your system before installation.

One final note: You will still see the Defense+ in the firewall window even if you decide not to use it.

It works great with my network.

Eric

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you. I'll give it some thought. But I've read that some people have had problems with this firewall.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

4. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, I've been using webroot awhile on a toshiba notebook and works ok wired or wireless.

same here,intel pro wireless

:oops: please see pic, this is the same wired or wireless.

not sure if it will. this is from webroot logs.192.168.0.100 is the ip assigned by the router.
    the process monitor is off by default.
    Hope this helps, tim

Attached Files:

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.