Question about Karen's Replicator

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Acadia, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I looked at the webpage for Karen's Replicator and was surprised to see that she claims it can "Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives!"

Ok, so if I backed up an entire drive using her program, how would I restore it? This program does not create a recovery CD does it? Thanks.

Acadia

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Never ment to do that,its no imaging app.Just another simple backup/restore files app. but one of the best you can get,and free also.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

So the purpose of backing up an "entire drive" would be simply so you could retrieve individual files if you ever needed to, and since you never know what you might need, backing up everything would assure you that you would have that single file, no matter what it was?

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My data partition is another harddisk, so I backup my entire harddisk with Karen's Replicator.
    It contains only folders and files, so I don't need an image.
    I still have to test the complete restore, but I don't expect any problems.
    In that case I have to create another job in KR, that copies my folders and files from my external harddisk to my second harddisk [D:]

The worst scenario, starting from zeroed harddisks is :
    1. Restore an image of system partition with ShadowProtect, which will install KR also.
    2. Format my second harddisk.
    3. Then restore my data with KR to my formatted second harddisk.

Each file stored by KR on your external harddisk, looks the same as on your original harddisk, because they are not stored in an image.
    With an image you need to mount the image first, before you can restore it individually and then dismount the image.
    You don't have to do this with KR, I would copy/paste the files I need from my external harddisk to my data partition [D:].

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, let's see if I am understanding your setup: so you backup your entire drive with Karen even though you only ever intend to retore certain data files. Then why not only backup up those data files that you would be needing instead of the entire drive? Or am I misunderstanding your process?

Acadia

6. ErikAlbert

Keep in mind that I separated my data from system. My second harddisk is nothing but personal data : folders and files, that's all.
    My system partition has still the entire folder "My Documents", but everything is EMPTY.
    I assume you have everything on ONE partition and that is a different ball game.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Because its no real sync. app.and i don't need that,a few times a day i backup manually,though you can let it do automatic(from one second to 2 months),for restore i have a workaround,create a new job [just reverse sourse and destination] untick "Only if sourse is newer"in the jobsettings and you have a restore job. It works flawless and very fast,i am all the more impressed with KR

8. ErikAlbert

I don't see any difference between your and my way.

9. ErikAlbert

Huupi,
    If you would do an automatic backup with KR, wouldn't that be a practical problem ?
    I can't do that because my external harddisk would be ON, even when I'm on-line.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I don't know but posting for me is global so more readers can benefit.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

And this works while you are actually in Windows, it restores those files while you are using your c:drive?

Acadia

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes !!

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

VERY interesting, thank you.

Acadia

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

My ext.disk is always on,even when i'm online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.