Question about installing programs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thomas Newton, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Registered Member

I just finished repartitioning, reformatting & reinstalling Windows. I was getting ready to install Ad-aware, Belarc Advisor, HiJackThis, MBSA, WMP 10, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender & Sysinternals - Autoruns, Process Explorer & TCPView and I had a question.

Every time you install a program you get the popup advising you to close all other programs first - blah, blah, blah, so I was wondering what would be wrong with installing these programs in safe mode?

Thanks in advance,

thomas

2. stevetwc

stevetwc Registered Member

Programs are never meant to install and run in safe mode, unless it is some system recovery software. Always install in the normal windows. Those popup are just some common sense that tells you to close as many programs as possible, so that the chances that certain files are locked by certain programs are less.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

some programs install fine in safe mode, others not.

4. Thomas Newton

Ok, thanks folks.

One more question if I may.

I scanned Ad-aware (aawsepersonal.exe) at virustotal and Microsoft said, it was "password protected" and NOD32v2 said, "error - password-protected file".

It's been a while since I've scanned an Ad-aware download but I don't remember getting ths result from virustotal before.

What does it mean?

appreciate it,

thomas

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

this is normal. some of the files included in teh setup are password protected so antiviruses wouldnt be able to scan them.

6. zcv

zcv Registered Member

The reason for not installing and uninstalling (unless there is a disaster) in safe mode is because writing to the registry is limited in safe mode.

7. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Adaware has password protected skins which AVs will not be able to scan. It is normal.

8. Thomas Newton

Ok, thanks for replying.

Thomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.