Question about installing external HD.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Acadia, Nov 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I’m looking at installing an external hard drive onto my antiquated, old Win98se system. I’m checking out either the Maxtor One-Touch HD or the Iomega which comes with the Norton Ghost software. My question is this: these hard drives don’t come any smaller that something like 40-80 gigs. When I attach it to the USB port, 1.1 in my case, will my Win98 automatically recognize it and make it my D: drive or whatever? Will a hard drive that huge (to me) cause a problem with Win98se, are there any drive size limitations? My current hard drive is so small that it fits well within any limitations of Win98se so I've never had to deal with them and I'm not sure what they even are. Thank you.

Acadia

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Most of this I can't help with, but I used to run win98SE on this machine with my dual 120 gig Western Digitals running striped. If that was ok with Win98se, a 40 or an 80 oughta be I reckon ;)

3. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

;) Hi Acadia...
    - According to this, "yes" on limitations (they say 4GB):
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1254
    ...but I find it strange that they would say that, since I'm now posting this from a CPQ PC w/W98 and a 20GB Maxtor HD in it. Maybe it has something to do with the USB specs.
    - Sometime ago, I recommended a Maxtor/USB external drive to a good friend of mine, and he thinks its great (uses it for all his backups). I'll e-mail him and ask him about the specifics - stay tuned.

Best regards,

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

FWIW, I very recently picked up a refurbed Iomega external HD (also came with Norton Ghost disc), and it was as loud as an electric razor. Furthermore, and strangely, Ghost locked up on writing to it. I should add that I had previously used Ghost successfully with a CD-RW.

Sent it back, and am very pleased with the Maxtor 40Gb that replaced it.

YMMV.

Regards,
    Optigrab

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

when a customer brings me a computer to work on I always back up their data on an external hdd. 120gb. It works on every 98se I have ever had it on. you shouldn;t have any problems. At least I have not had problems with it yet. :)

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmmm well don't take my post into consideration; I was talking about internal hard drives :rolleyes:

I musta not been paying attention in class this time :blink:

7. bigc73542

I see what Aplus was refering to at 4gb. But that is not drive size but file size that can be loaded at one time or stored as a single file. see screen shot
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1254

Attached Files:

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I want you thank you, Detox, Aplus, Opti, and BigC for your postings. I have been doing some homework of my own and it appears that, yes, an external HD would be compatible with my system BUT that the data transfer rate for USB 1.1 would be prohibitively slow. Therefore I think I will scratch that idea and go back to the drawing board. :doubt:
    Again, thanks.

Acadia

9. bigc73542

Here is some more info that may be helpful. Different external hdds run different speeds :)

http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=49

10. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Acadia,

I use an Maxtor external HD, but one that is connected through firewire (IEEE1394). If you have room for a firewire card that would boost the transfer speed and they are not very expensive (over here that is).

Just an idea.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.