Question about Index.Dat

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by imperium, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imperium

imperium Registered Member

Hi folks, Just a quick question. I use CCleaner to clean my index.dat files but today performed a search and found an index.dat file situated in the following directory: C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache which has 75kb of information undeleted. Is this particular file also keeping tabs on my internet history or is it just the ones taken care of by CCleaner that keep information? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Basically, you'll just have to live with that one, regardless of what's in it (unless you want to screw up your computer).

I haven't tried it, but perhaps Index.dat Suite ( http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=Index.datSuite ) could show you what's in there - don't delete it. If you do so by mistake, you can do this: "Q. I accidentally deleted the PCHEALTH index.dat file, what do I do?
    A. The facility that this file provides, can be restored by going to Start > Run, and entering the following - then clicking OK.

msinfo32 /categories +all -loadedmodules "

To answer your question, this is what the Index.dat Suite "FAQ's" page has to say about that particular index.dat:

"Q. Why is the PCHEALTH index.dat file in bold red and not checked?
    A. The PCHEALTH index.dat file is not like the index.dat files that Index.dat Suite was written to delete. It's contents are used by the Microsoft System Information tool (msinfo32.exe). Deleting this file will prevent the System Information tool working (it will instead, load the Help and Support files).

3. imperium

imperium Registered Member

Thank you for the information Spy1:thumb: .

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.