Question about Freeze and Freeze Archive

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have a question about the Freeze function of the original FDISR. We all know that after a while, the Archives take longer and longer to update because they take longer and longer to finalize. We have discovered that after a while it pays to complete delete an Archive and start over again, starting over with short finalizing times.

What about the Archive that is used for the Freeze function? Obviously, it will also suffer the longer finalizing times as time goes on, and it would probably be best to start over again. For those of you who use the Freeze function, how do you do this? Do you need to complete delete the entire Freeze function in order to start over including the Freeze Snapshot, in other words, to start COMPLETELY OVER with Freeze -- OR -- can you simply manually delete just the Freeze Archive and then ask FDISR to refreeze thereby creating a new Freeze Archive while keeping the original Freeze Snapshot thereby saving a lot of time? Has anyone ever tried that? Thanks.

Acadia

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The "Freeze Storage.arx" has all the pros and cons of any other archived snapshot (.arx).
    I don't really notice these so called cons and I'm not a speed-freak either as long the required time is reasonable.
    I always think what I would do without it. From the past I know how much time I lost without having ISR and IB.

Re-creating archives is a part of my total recovery solution.
    Each time I decide to upgrade my system with the latest versions, I replace my actual system with a clean system :
    1. Quick or full zero of my harddisk, which will remove possible low level infections.
    2. Restore-update-backup my clean images, to avoid backup of malware and get infected images.
    3. Re-create or update clean archives, to remove possible remaining object infections during reboot in my actual system.
    After that I have a new actual system for daily usage.
    This happens usually once a week, maximum a month.
    So my archives never get that old, because of the way I do things.

This takes more time, but I don't spend any time on cleaning my system anymore, so I have alot more time.
    I don't backup my actual system partition anymore.
    I don't have any technical problems to solve.
    I don't run scanners and registry/history/junk cleaning tools anymore, but I want my system guaranteed superclean, because the scanner-messages "0 threats found" kept me awake and all these cleaning tools are unsafe and incomplete.
    No malware is able to survive my recovery solution and that is the only reason, why scanners can't find anything and I ran all the scanners of av-comparatives and alot more during 2 months to verify how good my solution was.
    I only have a firewall, Anti-Executable and DefenseWall as security, all three TRY to kill malware immediately between two reboots, but I don't really trust them.

All the problem-posts, infection-posts and disaster-posts at Wilders prove constantly to me, I did the right thing.
    Unfortunately, they terminated my best ISR-software, but my readings prove there is hope for the next years, so I'm not really worried about the future.
    I can even accomplish the same thing with FDISR PC Rescue, but NOT in a convenient way, because they removed the freeze and schedule function. I need at least one of them, to get back what I have now.
    Software normally improves itself, but not in case of FDISR. FDISR is going down instead of going up. :(

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Acadia,

I don't use the freeze function at the moment, so my response is not based on experience. But your question is thought provoking.

Your post indicates that for performance reasons it's smart to recreate the FD-ISR archives. Since a frozen archive is just a regular archive with a specific assignment and named Freeze Storage.arx, I suggest this:

Try to boot into a non-frozen snapshot.
    From there I would first restore the freeze archive into the frozen snapshot (or another spare snapshot) and then delete (or rename/move) and recreate the freeze archive (using the same name).

After rebooting into the frozen snapshot, I would expect the freeze function do it's work based on the new created archive.

Hope it helps.

4. ErikAlbert

What is the advantage of this procedure ? Maybe I can learn something new.
    I usually "Unfreeze" the frozen snapshot with removal of "Freeze Storage.arx" and then I "Freeze" my snapshot which creates a new "Freeze Storage.arx".

PS: MBSA is indeed better than Belarc. I got the proof. :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm not sure if there is an advantage.
    It's maybe more a personal preference that I like to do maintenance on snapshots (copy/update import/export) without booting into the maintained snapshot.
    A restore to any snapshot has to be done from a secondary snapshot anyways.
    Perhaps the advantage is that you wouldn't need to unfreeze/refreeze?

6. ErikAlbert

If everything is normal you don't need to unfreeze/refreeze. So I hardly use this in practice.
    The function "Freeze" is just another variant of copy/update and it updates the "Freeze Storage.arx" like any other copy/update and is of course much faster than unfreeze/freeze.
    I use "Freeze/Unfreeze/Freeze Previous" alot in practice to test softwares with or without reboot.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I wonder if this also removes the hidden Snapshot (not the archive); remember, not only is an Archive created with Freeze, but another hidden Snapshot. I'm trying to see if there is a method of removing and redoing the Archive without having to also delete and redo the Snapshot which would add even more time.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.