Question About Encyrption Password. (How does it look? Risky?)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by an2tex, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

I will create a Truecrypt container with a password. To make it more secure, I will create one another container inside it.

I will forget this container for a long time - so 2 encryption phrases are too much for me - as a risk. This is an essential password not to be touched for a long time.

Then - I thought about this solution to make the 2 passphrases easier:

I use a Turkish "q" type of keyboard, normally.

I will use my first encyrption passphrase with the normal keyboard, that types normally.

Then I will switch Windows keyboard to "Turkish f" (which will not type the correct characters, of course), and will use the same passphrase in the second container inside (I mean typing the same located keys that will output the different characters). So I will only remember one passphrase and double security. (only remembering the second keyboard layout type.)

Does this sound as a good idea? All novice of experienced people has some "clever" methods derived according to their experience, mine is some what "inexperienced". I would not have divulged my method here, after all, on an internet forum, anyway.

The only problem with this method might be (here goes my question) - if I change my laptop, or something else happens to it, is there any possibility that the "F" keyboard selection will type something other than the original created password? Are all Generic "102 key Q type" Turkish keyboards all the same - or, in example, some symbols might change, when I switch windows to other type of keyboard? Even a symbol location change will be the trouble. If all "Turkish Q" are the same and will create same output in "Turkish F", then it is fine.

Does it sound good, and should I pursue this route as a double secure encryption?

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Here's what I'd do instead:

Use TrueCrypt's Hidden Volume feature to store your truly valuable files, with a very strong password for it. The non-hidden volume should have only non-valuable files, and it can have a weak and easily memorized password (or write that one down). The non-hidden volume is just a decoy.

Tip for creating very strong password: use Diceware passphrase, or random lowercase letters (see post #16).

See also Methods of password backup and recovery using challenge questions.

Double encryption isn't necessary IMHO if you simply use a very strong password.

You can skip the hidden volume if you don't need a decoy, but then use a very strong password for the non-hidden volume.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

Thanks MrBrian. Taking a look at what you provided.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.