Question about computer "adding" folders itself.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmy75, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmy75

emmy75 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place, but I hope I'm at the right board is what I mean. :)

My question is this: Is it possible for a computer to add new folders by itself? This might sound strange, but a new subfolder appeared in my computer today, and my husband says he didn't put it there. It's in the "My Documents" folder in the same place with the cache folder (not inside the cache folder, but this new one is right next to it) and it's called "cache.trash". Did the computer do it or did my husband? If I'm not at the right forum, someone please redirect me! I'm a good typist, but when it comes to computers or anything related, I'm clueless. Thanks!!

Emily

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hi emmy75, welcome to Wilders!

There are a million ways a folder can be created without you doing it.
    Windows itself won't just randomly create a folder, but you may have a program running or installed that created it to store information in.

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I'm not sure that was an exact answer to your question.. :)

To know more about what could have created it (a lot of different programs), Can you give us some insight as to what you run on your machine?

That would help

4. emmy75

emmy75 Registered Member

Thanks for your quick reply! What kind of program would create a new folder? My husband takes care of fixing the computer when it breaks, etc., and is constantly getting a program to play this or do that or some crazy thing. Do any programs ever add a " . " to the folder title? What struck me as odd is that this folder has a period in it. Why isn't it just called "Cache Trash" instead of "Cache.Trash"? This is the first time any new folders like this have popped up since I've had the computer, and my husband hasn't been online much recently to download anything like this. Sorry for being a pain!

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just a thought, you might right click the folder and then click properties and see what it says about the folder.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You're not being a pain at all :) If you don't ask, how else are you going to learn.

Have you tried doing a scan on your system with an Anti-virus programs or anti-spyware apps lately?

7. emmy75

emmy75 Registered Member

Oh God...what programs we run on the computer? I don't know where to begin! I can try (I really am NOT computer literate, so please bear with me!)

Right now, we have running:

AVG Free Edition - Control Center
    OUTLOOK.EXE
    iexplore.exe
    taskmgr.exe
    fxssvc.exe
    pptd40nt.exe
    realsched.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    SVCHOST.EXE
    ViewMgr.exe
    SDPASVC.EXE
    Acrotray.exe
    AVGUPSCV.EXE
    AVGAMSVR.EXE
    SPOOLSV.EXE
    BRSS01A.EXE
    avgcc.exe
    SVCHOST.EXE
    ALG.EXE
    LSASS.EXE
    SERVICES.EXE
    WINLOGON.EXE
    scrss.exe
    SMSS.EXE
    EXPLORER.EXE
    System
    System Idle Process
    and about 20 instances of something called "BrMfcWnd.exe"

I don't know what that last one is...I've never seen it before, but there really are about 20 of them open.

I'm sorry if I come off sounding like an idiot, but I hit CTRL ALT DEL and typed the list of processes running at the moment. Is this what you meant?

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

The BrMfcWnd.exe is the Scanner Monitor. I take it you have a scanner connected to your pc.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Some softwares install additional folders automatically.
    I found this, but I don't know what kind softwares you are using
    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/

And NO, your husband isn't cheating on you. :D

10. bigc73542

.....It sure doesn't seem like that ought to running that many instances

Attached Files:

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Trust me, you don't sound like an idiot at all. :)

From what I can tell by your running processes, there isn't any major problem apps.

Hmm....

12. emmy75

emmy75 Registered Member

To Bigc:

When I right click on it, it says it's a file folder, created today (with the date and time on it), size is 0 bytes, size on disk is 0 bytes, contains 0 files, 0 folders, and in the attributes section, "read only" is checked.

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Do you use Mozilla or Firefox at all?

14. bigc73542

Well what ever it is there is nothing in it so it should be safe to leave or delete which ever is your preference. If it is needed by some application it will replace it if needed

15. emmy75

emmy75 Registered Member

This computer is such a piece of crap. It was nice when I bought it a few years ago, but now it's always "acting up" if you will. :) I'm tired of it being sooo slow.

My husband uses Mozilla, but I don't like it. I'm used to Internet Explorer. He seems to like it though.

And Erik, what would possibly make you think *I* thought my husband was cheating on me? :p

16. Capp

Capp Registered Member

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well I had the impression that you didn't believe your husband concerning the cache.trash folder, but I was just kidding. :)

18. emmy75

emmy75 Registered Member

Erik, I know you were kidding. I'm just giving you a hard time. It's my personal right as a woman. lol :)

Capp:

Thanks for the site. :) When it says "Cache.Trash Temporary cache directory. Only used when deleting the real Cache directory." does that mean that the Cache directory was deleted? It's still there, but is it possible part of the cache could have been deleted? In the Cache folder, there are a couple documents...something like "Cache001, Cache002, etc., then a bunch of little documents that make no sense when opened.

19. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I think that means, if you have Mozilla clear the cache, it creates a temporary folder to do so.... cache.trash

20. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Emily....
    Capp summed it up for you, it's to do with Mozilla's caching of trash.

see pic of my own files. :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.