Question about backing up Application Settings

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xelaw, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xelaw

xelaw Registered Member

I wanted to back up my application settings, but I see that the list that Acronis TI10 shows is a little out of date:
    IE 6 instead of IE 7, Thunderbird 1.5 instead of TB 2.0, old versions of Skype, Windows Media Player, etc.

How do I put newer versions, and/or other applications into the list?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

AFAIK, you have to wait for Acronis to do it.

Just make an image of your OS/Apps partition and then you have everything.

3. xelaw

xelaw Registered Member

Thanks. Seems rather silly of them not to have a fearure where you can decide which application settings you want to backup.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It isn't a simple exercise. You have to know for each application where every modification/file copy is made on the HD and you also have to know all the possible registry keys to backup.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello xelaw,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that seekforever is correct.

Please have a look at this previous thread <Application Settings Backup>, which describes how "My Application Settings backup" option of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home works.

Note that we are going to increase the list of the supported application in the future.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. xelaw

xelaw Registered Member

Marat Setdikov, thank you.

I appreciate your response, and apologize if I sounded churlish in my post.

7. jmason

jmason Registered Member

I'm new to Acronis. I agree. The Application Setting is useless for those of us who have Vista with WMP11 and IE7. This is not as advertised. Very disappointing.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It would be nice if application makers included in their progs a function to back up settings. A few do (MS Office comes to mind). But if the application makeers can't all handle saving their settings, I'd expect it to be even haarder for a third party to do it. And, aparently, this is the case.

By the time ATI adds more apps than is on thier list now, a whole new set of apps/versions will be around that aren't included. Hard to see ATI ever catching on this one. As a program feature, I see it as a white elephant.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

This has been pointed out before but it is worth repeating.
    If one values ones operating system and installed applications it makes good sense to back them up. The backup operaton will of course include all the settings for all installed applications. So I for one can see no real value in backing up application settings separately.

This is even more true for applications, such as true image itself, should one want to uninstall and reinstall. In this case all saved archives will be retained, backup schedules and other settings will still be available for the user's convenience. I am sure this applies to many other applications. I cannot however enumerate them as I have not had the need to go through the uninstall/reinstall process for any applications ever since I started using TI a few years ago.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.